Analytics

Saturday, February 20, 2016

The 2016 South Carolina GOP Primary

Tweets of the Night
Let's point out since late July, Trump has won every SC poll except one where Carson nosed him by 1%.  I saw a couple of polls showing Rubio or Cruz within 5 points over the past week, I thought Trump's bad debate performance a week ago and other unforced errors, like his dispute with Pope Francis over immigration walls, might backfire.  After all, there were reports that a large plurality of voters indicated they could change their preferences, so the key is what voters and how many.  With less than 1% of the vote unsettled, Trump has 32.5%, which doesn't impress me much; the problem is that the conservatives tend to split the vote in SC, and Trump is not a conservative. He wins a huge percentage of the centrist/liberal vote. What most people don't seem to remember is that Trump has been within this 25-35% range for some time now, while the field has narrowed from 17 to a half dozen.

Let's be clear: Donald Trump is the frontrunner and is a strong position to win up to Super Tuesday. I don't think he'll run the table. I think Cruz will hold his own on Super Tuesday. What Cruz needs is to place while the herd thins; on a previous post I mentioned that 1 on 1 Cruz beats Trump by 12 points or so. Cruz has won one gold and 2 bronzes (with 1% left to count), while Rubio has a silver and a bronze. I think Rubio needs to pull off a victory. I suspect he'll pick up most of Bush's support. Tonight's silver may help him recapture momentum.

I knew within 5 seconds of Jeb's concession speech that he was going to withdraw. I'm sorry to see him leave, but when he dropped to single-digit share several weeks back, he was done. When he had to resort to bringing his brother to campaign for him, the writing was on the wall. He's probably been the most consistent debater;,he was classy to the end and probably the most effective critic of Donald Trump