Analytics

Monday, February 22, 2016

Miscellany: 2/22/16

Quote of the Day
A man on the street is pointing up to the sky. 
"Look, an angel!" he yells. 
Passersby laugh. 
"You fool, that is only a cloud."
How wonderful it would be to see angels 
where there are only clouds. 
How sad it would be to see only clouds 
where there are angels.
Anonymous

Tweet of the Day

Crony Capitalism



Choose Life: Siblings and Babies

This is so endearing...






Daddies, Pony Tails and a Lot More



Entertainment Potpourri: American Idol Finale Season

I have been watching this season but for the most part on demand. It's getting to the point I don't even recognize most of the tunes being performed anymore. There was a time even a few years back I might even check the Billboard charts regularly. I know who Kanye West, Taylor Swift, Beyonce and many other current hot acts are, but I'm not really impressed with their product. I think the ultimate absurdity was when Paul McCartney himself was turned away at the door from a post Grammy Party held by some young singer who is known for dating one of Bruce Jenner's daughters. Today I'm rarely interested in listening to new material except for say a new release by Elton John or Madonna.

One of the interesting twists of this season is they are bringing back some famous AI alumni--including, but not restricted to season winners. During the recent Top 24 shows, for instance, a number of alumni paired off with this season's contestants for a series of duets which made for some compelling performances. I'm embedding a couple of versions of the Elvis Presley staple "Can't Help Falling in Love with You". I have heard so many vocalists do this song, it's hard to put a new wrinkle on it. I do like the way alumnus Haley finished off the last few verses. The sleeper, though, is Mackenzie in an earlier solo performance. His interpretation is brilliant and compelling; it's hard to make a prediction this far in advance and it reflects my preferences, but I would be surprised if he doesn't make the finale, if not win it all. Famous last words.





Political Cartoon
Courtesy of Michael Ramirez via Townhall
Musical Interlude: My Favorite Vocalists

Stevie Wonder, "Blowin' in the Wind"



Libertarian Comedians



Watch this libertarian comedian personify both political parties in a game of chess.
Posted by Hypocrite Twins on Thursday, February 4, 2016

The Real Donald Trump


Donald Trump Hates Republicans, Praises Mexicans, Obama, Pro C...
Donald Trump Hates Republicans but Praises Mexicans, Obama, Pro Choice, Healthcare and Hillary -- wait, that was 3 years ago, my mistake..reverse all that now! #RockTheVote
Posted by Maurice W. Evans on Monday, February 1, 2016