Analytics

Thursday, January 14, 2016

Miscellany:1/14/16

Quote of the Day
The best thing we can do for ourselves and the people in our lives is 
to love them unconditionally, 
forgive them without reservation and 
to accept them exactly as they are.
Iyanla Vanzant

NOTE: I'm Deferring Coverage of  Tonight's GOP Debate As a Protest Against Rand Paul's Exclusion 

I may publish a one-off review over the weekend or early next week.

Tweet of the Day

Just a brief note here: with this batch of tweets, I've now passed the 1000 tweet mark. If anyone had told me a few months ago that I would have broken that milestone so soon, I wouldn't have believed it. In fact, I published sparingly in my early months on Twitter. I've joked that my dissertation chair, Richard Scamell, probably would never believe that I could be contained in a 140-character format (the running joke was that I take 20 minutes just to introduce myself). Twitter has announced that they plan to work towards expanded content. I think though that I'll probably stick to original constraints because it forces me to be more concise.
Image of the Day


My Favorite Economist Takes On the Minimum Wage



The Economic Illiteracy of Trump



Facebook Corner

(LFC). The government should protect freedom of speech, or else the purple heart I earned in WWI means nothing.
Fraudulently representing yourself as a government official of certain rank is a felony, regardless of free speech. This foolish ruling effectively states that I could wear a police officer uniform as well as protected speech.
No, presenting yourself as another person (who, say, legitimately earned a medal) is fraud. Embellishing your background is misleading, but what makes it fraud is  "to secure unfair or unlawful gain".

If I wear a replica of Gen. Patton's uniform, it could be I'm simply playing tribute to his memory, not claiming I earned his ribbons and medals--or that the awards I'm wearing are genuine.


Stossel is right: Trump is an ignorant, unqualified, ill-tempered, unprincipled RINO fascist whose only interest is his quest for power at the expense of liberty.

Political Cartoon
Courtesy of Michael Ramirez via Townhall
Musical Interlude: My Favorite Vocalists

Gordon Lightfoot, "Talking In Your Sleep"



Cato Institute Grades the SOTU


Cato Scholars Respond to Obama’s Final State of the Union Address
Last night, President Obama delivered his final State of the Union address, laying out his goals for the final few months of his presidency. Cato scholars fact-check the President's speech from last night and outline what his words might mean for the future of liberty.Like our video? Post your reaction on Twitter with #CatoSOTU.
Posted by The Cato Institute on Wednesday, January 13, 2016