Analytics

Thursday, January 21, 2016

Miscellany: 1/21/16

Quote of the Day
I was angry with my friend; 
I told my wrath, 
my wrath did end. 
I was angry with my foe; 
I told it not, 
my wrath did grow.
William Blake

Tweet of the Day

Writers never know when something they write will click with the public. One of my tweets might draw a good 2-3 dozen impressions or reads; only a small fraction are retweeted or liked. A small number of my tweets, including one of today's, draw several hundred impressions. Now I'm be frank; I knew just when I read Bob Dole's favorable comments on Donald Trump, the former Presidential candidate who lost to Bill Clinton's reelection campaign, my first tweet below, tweaking Dole on being a political pundit, practically wrote itself, and I knew it would resonate with a number of conservatives. At the time of the post, it has tracked over 1000 impressions
Image of the Day


The NSA's Utah Facility



Political Potpourri

There are some wildly swinging polls. One of yesterday's polls had Trump lapping Cruz in NC, and another NC poll today has Trump in front by only 4. Three Iowa polls: one has Cruz up by 2, one has Trump up by 1, and the CNN has Trump up by 11--guess which one I think is the outlier? Carson is in third in one poll, Rubio in the other two. The same hold true for the Dems--one Iowa poll has Clinton ahead by 9, the other has Sanders ahead by 8.

Father and Son



Facebook Corner

(National Review). "Donald J. Trump is a menace to American conservatism who would take the work of generations and trample it underfoot in behalf of a populism as heedless and crude as the Donald himself."
Damn straight! Trump is an incompetent, unqualified, lll-tempered, crude, unprincipled, corrupt fascist RINO, whose only goal is power. He has no political base in Washington, and his lawlessness on trade and immigration will exacerbate the lackluster economic growth under the last 2 administrations.

(Reason). It’s worth recognizing that among the five most plausible presidential candidates at this stage of the campaign—Donald Trump, Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio, Clinton, and Sanders—there is only one articulating something approaching a libertarian position on a chunk of issues: civil liberties and foreign policy. That candidate is Bernie Sanders.
Oh, give me a break. I just listened to a Sunday talk show piece where Sanders echoed support for the war against ISIS.

Political Cartoon


Musical Interlude: My Favorite Vocalists

Gordon Lightfoot, "Race Around the Ruins"