Analytics

Monday, January 11, 2016

Miscellany: 1/11/16

Quote of the Day
It is always easier to believe than to deny. Our minds are naturally affirmative.
John Burroughs

Tweet of the Day
RIP: David Bowie

I never was into his androgynous character, but Bowie was a superb performer with some great pop music tracks unlike anything else I heard on the radio. I include his signature tune "Space Oddity" and "Fame" (co-written with Lennon). (There are other great solo singles like "Let's Dance", "Golden Years" and "Heroes".) I recently reprised his duet with Crosby on "The Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth". His collaboration with Queen, "Under Pressure" I consider one of the great singles of all time. Then there's the Jagger remake of a Motown classic; it takes a hell of a vocalist to hold his own against Jagger.

I've seen some reports that indicated he died of liver cancer and that he might have suffered up to 6 heart attacks in recent years. My thoughts and prayers with his surviving family members.









Political Potpourri

It was a good day for the Trump campaign which saw him lapping the field in an IBD national polls and Trump narrowly leading Cruz in 2 new Iowa polls and strong leads in 2 new NH polls. I've mostly been focusing on the GOP race, but it seems like Sanders has pulled within 4 points of Clinton nationally, is close in Iowa and leading in NH. A final note: I've seen one report suggesting that Rand Paul and Carly Fiorina have been dropped from the main debate stage next debate.

Teachers v. Unions



The Hearts of American Children



Rich People Exploiting Welfare 



Protecting Your Identity in an NSA World



Political Cartoon
Courtesy Bob Gorrell via Townhall
Musical Interlude: My Favorite Vocalists

Aretha Franklin, "Willing to Forgive". We are nearing the end of this retrospective and later this week will start the next series featuring Gordon Lightfoot.