Analytics

Sunday, March 4, 2018

Post #3575 M

Quote of the Day

I think and think for months and years. 
Ninety-nine times, the conclusion is false. 
The hundredth time I am right.
Albert Einstein  

From the New Blog


Trump is quoted as praising the Chinese President for attaining a lifetime tenure. Of course, the authoritarian Trump loves that idea. Trump, the only way you'll be President for Life is if the good Lord calls you home before the end of your current term.

*

H/T Ron Paul
When We Had a Real President
*

This was my response off a Facebook Twitter game mocking Russia hacking tweets:

Russia hacked Trump's Twitter account and sent out all Putin topless photos.

Dadly Virtues




Mitchell On the National Debt




Facebook Corner


Some odds and ends from various post comments:


  • Trump has all the principle and spine of a wet noodle. Why should we be surprised an authoritarian like Trump wants to restrict guns? Isn't that the next step after you militarize the police?
  •  [Re: what Trump wanting an extensive background check for guns means]  It probably means if you didn't vote for Trump, you're disqualified from buying weapons to protect yourself. #SARCASM
  • [A Trumpkin cousin responds to my dismissive notion of Trump donating or not taking his Presidential salary, arguing I wouldn't turn down a $400K/year job--see original comment below] If you've read my blog or Twitter feed, the answer to your question is I would cut everybody's salary in government, starting with my own. I certainly wouldn't be spending millions traveling to my own golf courses and hotels; in fact, I'm pretty sure there is a course at Camp David. I'm a guy who was told by my client's CEO secretary I could book up to $200/night at a local hotel in California, but I stayed at a distant San Jose suburb Extended Stay (in heavy traffic at $43/night (back in 1999); I just don't like spending other people's money. I found a $400+ airline flight from Chicago to SF when I could have booked $1200 and got United mileage points. So your point doesn't  really apply to me. Presidents get free room and board plus a huge expense account which basically is on top of salary. I wouldn't have to pay for cars (heck, I would get chauffeurs and personal chefs), plus a six-figure retirement pension for life.
  • By the way, this "liberal" meme shows someone who never passed high school civics. Our Constitution gives the states/locals police powers (10th Amendment), not the Congress
  • I bet this is Trump's version of trying to be School Lunch Chef-in-Chief Michelle Obama. The Trump Food Pack would suck. Basically the federal government needs to get away from running countless top-heavy programs for poverty relief and substitute it with some variation of a means-tested universal income which trusts people to make their own decisions. I do have issues with the moral hazard in a basic universal income, but at least it wouldn't require permanent bureaucrats to rule over poor people. Trump just doesn't get it. He's just a different flavor of authoritarian. He thinks he should tell other people what they can and can't eat, a Nutritionist-in-Chief. He'll tell you something like without his rules, the poor will be spending their money on marijuana, fast food, etc.
  • [See above]. I have a relative who thinks billionaire Trump is peachy keen because he allegedly gives away his $400K salary. Never mind his travel expenses cost the taxpayer more every month than his ANNUAL salary--and which were even bigger than Obama. (When you spend more than the $10T man Barry, that's saying something). Just a reminder Trump isn't all that unique when it comes to not taking a salary (all of them, especially Trump, do it for power, not money). Billionaire Bloomberg, the NYC former mayor, only took $1 of his $225K annual salary. Millionaire Mitt Romney took no salary as governor of Massachusetts. Only Trump constantly promotes his "charity". Christians might remember the parable of the proud Pharisee.
  • [Response To Russian Troll Pointing Out "[My] Stupid Constitution" calls for putting down insurrections etc.]  Of course rebellion is a right. It was the basis of the original American Revolution. I'm making obvious referencing the Second Amendment which references two purposes for private ownership to possess and bear arms: self-defense and collective defense in the concept of a militia. Collective action is a natural expression of free association. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_revolution

Political Cartoon


Courtesy of Gary Varvel via Townhall


Musical Interlude: My Favorite Vocalists


Frank Sinatra, "New York, New York".  And it's a wrap on my Sinatra retrospective.