Analytics

Thursday, May 19, 2016

Miscellany: 5/19/16

Quote of the Day
Our obligations to our country never cease but with our lives.
John Adams

Tweet of the Day
Corrupt Certificate of Need Laws in WV



If Trump Were













Political Cartoon
Courtesy of Glenn McCoy via Townhall
Musical Interlude: My Favorite Vocalists

Rod Stewart, "Your Song". Some of Rod Stewart's remakes, like this take on the Elton John classic, are very good (like "Downtown Train") in bringing attention to the song to a whole new audience. "Have I Told You Lately", which I'll soon reprise, is an example; I loved it when the Van Morrison original hit the A/C charts in the late 80's (enough to buy the album just for one track); Rod Stewart made it his (last) Top 5 solo hit in 1993. I think as a pop singer, you have to be very wary of covering other people's hits; you need new, fresh material, and if you lose your hip audience, you probably won't get them back. (The BeeGees were like that and no doubt were overexposed by the end of the 70's; in their case, it wasn't a case of making the nostalgia circuit or doing retreads but when they started releasing new material several years later, it's like their core audience had moved on. Maybe they weren't able to reinvent themselves like they did so brilliantly in the disco era, although "One" blew me away.) I think when I was really young, I would be happy to get really inexpensive takes on original songs, because I liked the songs, but as I grew older, I wanted the original tracks. This particular remake is a nice interpretation within Stewart's style, but it's not a compelling variation and comes across to me as an artist's indulgence. I had heard the original literally hundreds of times, and Stewart really didn't do anything that different over the original arrangement.