Analytics

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Miscellany: 5/15/16

Quote of the Day
People begin to become successful the minute they decide to be.
Harvey Mackay

Tweet of the Day
The World's "Worst" Mom




More Remy







Image of the Day


My Greatest Hits: May 2016
Political Cartoon
Courtesy of Nate Beeler via PatriotPost
Musical Interlude: My Favorite Vocalists

Rod Stewart, "Downtown Train". Another of my all-time favorite pop songs. I knew Bob Seger was pissed because he was about to release his own cover when Stewart released his cover of the Waits classic. I never heard Seger's version, finally released a few years back, and it blew me away on first listen. I think Stewart's arrangement is more commercial (maybe I'm more used to it), but Seger's take is freaking genius: he sings the hell out of the song. I wish I could do that. The cadence, the vocal nuances, the interpretive twists on the chorus. If I'm Waits, I'm thinking, "Damn; he gets the song."

As for Stewart, this capped a great 80's; he is one of the few to transition through the disco era and continue to hit the charts with strong performances. He would go on to have a handful of other hit singles in the 90's we'll cover (I love "Broken Arrow" and his cover of the Van Morrison's "Have I Told You Lately"), but none of his solo stuff would reach as high as his #3 for this single.