Analytics

Saturday, May 7, 2016

Miscellany: 5/07/16

Quote of the Day
It is easier 
to exclude harmful passions than to rule them, and 
to deny them admittance than to control them after they have been admitted.
Seneca

Tweet of the Day
Child Labor: A Free Market Perspective



A Personal Rant

Today I came within a split second of a serious auto accident with a skateboarder. I just did a Google search on skateboarder and saw at least 3 news incidents about skateboarders in critical condition. In my experience, the white skateboarder did mind-blowingly stupid things: he was riding on the right side of a private drive with (vs. against) traffic, i.e., I was approaching him from behind. He wasn't wearing a helmet and was holding a beverage; he was simply riding straight and gave no signal of awareness of me or any change of plan. I had slowed and started drifting away from him into the other lane of traffic--when all of a sudden he suddenly veered left and ran into my car's right fender. I stopped the car; he got up, dusted himself off, picked up his skateboard and yelled out that he was fine. (Apparently he was accompanied by some black guy in a car behind me. The black driver pointed out that my car was blocking traffic and back up to the side of the road. He drove around me, the young skateboarder climbed into his car, and they drove off. )

During that brief moment I was out of the car, I screamed at the kid, "What the hell were you thinking?" He said that he was aware of me and in the way; he said that he was trying to get out of my way. Here's some common sense, kid: you're 2 feet from the side of the road: you stay straight, stop and/or get off the roadway. You NEVER, EVER cut across a roadway without checking traffic and/or making your intentions known to approaching drivers: that is suicidal. (It's bad enough skateboarding on any road unless it's deserted. This road is shared by 3 apartment complexes and people constantly drive in and out.) He's lucky if he got out of this with a scratch or two and losing the rest of his drink. Me, I'm in worse shape; my first reaction was what if he had been seriously hurt. I was not at fault--literally nothing I could have done to evade his irrational, reckless behavior; thank God I had excellent reflexes and control over my car.

Choose Life: Rediscovering a Child Given Up For Adoption



A Mother's Love



Political Cartoon

Courtesy of Gary Varvel via Townhall
Musical Interlude: My Favorite Vocalists

Rod Stewart, "Infatuation"