Analytics

Monday, April 18, 2016

Miscellany: 4/18/16

Quote of the Day
Start with good people, 
lay out the rules, 
communicate with your employees, 
motivate them and reward them. 
If you do all those things effectively, you can’t miss.
Lee Iacocca

Tweet of the Day
Image of the Day




Political Whores and Climate Change Alarmism



Two Conservative Icons At First Acton Institute Dinner



High Likelihood One of These Men Will Win My Vote This Fall



Political Cartoon

Courtesy of Bob Gorrell via Townhall
Musical Interlude: My Favorite Vocalists

Rod Stewart, "Reason To Believe". Probably my favorite Stewart tune, which was on the other side of Rod's signature tune single, "Maggie May". (His unplugged version years later actually did better, hitting Top 20.) This is a song written by folk singer Tim Hardin, also known for "If I Were a Carpenter". There are other versions, including the Carpenters, which I felt were overproduced. Tim's own original cover, available on Youtube, is plainly arranged but very effective. I just think Rod Stewart's iconic raspy vocals just fit the lyrics like a glove, and the bluesy arrangement complements the performance beautifully.

I don't know if Rod ever covered Patti LaBelle's "If You Asked Me To" (by Diane Warren), but I've imagined singing a male interpretation of the tune with a drink in my hand and smoking a cigarette (and I don't drink or smoke). Yes, I know Celine also had a more successful cover years later. By the way, in Patti's video, she is wearing black; one of her sisters had recently died. (All 3 sisters and her best friend died by their early 40's from different forms of cancer (lung, colon, brain, and breast).)