Analytics

Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Miscellany: 4/05/16

Quote of the Day
It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.
Edmund Hillary

Tweet of the Day
Image of the Day


Young Women Debate Liberty vs. the State



American Idol Swan Song Week

To be honest, I have not watched since the top 10 elimination round. I did find Mackenzie Bourg compelling but he was eliminated from the final four. Tonight Fox ran a series retrospective; I will probably watch the final two shows this week. I read a recent interview with the series producer; he seemed to suggest that the show will probably be revamped and shopped to different networks. If you remember my past commentaries, I had suggested a hiatus before this season. They did put some interesting wrinkles in this season, like duets with past season performers and doing away with the annoying weekly results show. But the show had annoyed me with indulgent song selections I didn't recognize, and I liked to see performers tackle different genres of music.

It's difficult to say exactly how to retool a future competition. I've never really liked how the judges were marginalized down the stretch and contestant popularity often trumped performance. I do think some sort of fusion voting plus song metrics (think of how diving or gymnastics judging involving the difficulty of execution) would be an improvement. The Voice's team format could also be adapted, with interteam and intrateam pairwise duels.

Why Baseball Is the National Pastime



Choose Life: Wake Up, Daddy!



White Lion Family



Political Cartoon

Courtesy of Ken Catalino via Townhall

Musical Interlude: My Favorite Vocalists

Donna Summer, "MacArthur Park". I loved the Richard Harris original cover of a Jimmy Webb classic. This remake was Donna's first #1 on the Hot 100 and the first of 7 consecutive Top 5 hits.