Analytics

Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Post #3037 M

Quote of the Day

Adversity has the effect of eliciting talents which, in prosperous circumstances, 
would have lain dormant.
Horace  

Tweet of the Day


I don't really go looking for a debate when I tweet or go to Facebook . I'm very aware that few people agree with any number of my personal views. I do realize there are consequences to poking a bear, and I can't really explain why I select those I pick; it may be a point of exasperation, or the tweet just hit me as a bit too strident, and I want to send a message. I hardly expect, for instance, that a Trump supporter will lose faith because of one well-written tweet by me. I have taken on Trump, Clinton, and Sanders cultists, anti-vaxxers, and others, in this case ideological feminists, and I've found myself in tweet battles beyond maybe 2-3 exchanges. 140 characters are a terrible limit on a decent debate. (It does force me to be succinct, something my dissertation chair would have thought impossible. And, look, I'm not exactly a prude over profane language, but if you think I'm blunt, you should read my antagonists. The ideological feminists referenced below responded very crudely. When I say "f*cked up" below, it was in response to the other person using the expression. I rarely respond in kind, but occasionally others test my patience.

I don't comment on abortion  that often in the blog. I have very strong pro-life beliefs, but I think the more effective approach is a softer, optimistic tone. I've had to; a couple of my best friends, married with children, are passionately pro-abortion choice. (In fact, one of them admitted to his girlfriend during their teens having had an abortion.)

Let me point out (since my antagonist basically raised the issue) my position on abortion had literally nothing to do with my religion. (She tries to argue I "proved" it did by using the expression "every child is a gift from God". That is simply a literary device I use to underscore the value of human life.) My parents had never discussed the issue, nor had I ever heard it in church. I still remember asking my Mom what it was. She gave a very clinical, nonjudgmental description; I was horrified: I remember telling my mother what she described was murder. It was unthinkable to me that any woman would ever consider such a horrible thing. I remember telling Mom that the Church had to be against it. But regardless of my parents' or my Church's view, my moral compass had decided the matter

The context of the feminist outburst was the Ohio Senate passing a measure outlawing abortion after evidence of a fetal heartbeat, roughly 2 months into a pregnancy. Pro-aborts do what they always do: try to redefine the issue as basically a paternalistic imposition of a sentence of pregnancy on the victims of rape and incest. This is intellectually dishonest. Among other things, we have seen abused statistics, mostly notably wildly inflated campus rape allegations. (Let me be clear: as a libertarian, I know that rape is a fundamental violation of liberty. But trying to redefine the crime of rape to rationalize the national holocaust of abortion is unconscionable. And let's point out the rape victim under proposed legislation has access to abortion for several weeks after conception, not mentioning post-rape medical procedures or the availability of abortifacients.)

So how long does one continue a tweet war? Some of these people don't know when to quit. My Uncle Roger, a retired priest, has very strong views but refuses to argue after he makes his point. Look, I'm not going to going to get an ideologue to admit he was wrong. But when they resort to ad hominem attack or are repetitive, they're wasting my time. I'll debunk nonsense talking points to make a point. But when someone starts to dispute the well-documented biological fact that human life begins at conception, he or she is in a state of denial, being contrary for the sake of being contrary.














Immigration vs Crime




Family Is Forever




Charity vs. Goverrnment Emergency Relief




Political Cartoon

Courtesy of Gary Varvel via Townhall


Musical Interlude: Christmas Favorites


Bob Seger, "Little Drummer Boy"