Analytics

Saturday, March 5, 2016

Miscellany: 3/05/2016 Super Saturday

Quote of the Day
After much suffering and torment, I was resurrected large, and pure, and immaculate.
Unknown

Earlier One-Off Post: The 2016 Tenth GOP Presidential Debate

Tweet of the Day
Super Saturday Tweets
Super Saturday

Well, I don't want to repeat what I tweeted earlier this evening: updated delegate count Trump 378 Cruz 295. I see this evening huge for Cruz: he won 2 states outside the South, Kansas and Maine, and he came within 5 points of beating Trump in Louisiana and Kentucky. In a race where Trump has been leading almost anywhere in double digits, Cruz beat Trump in 5 states this week, including the biggest (TX, OK, KS, ME, AL). Given Cruz was barely reaching double-digits, just 2-4 months back, and Trump has been running one of the most unorthodox campaigns in the history of the GOP, Trump suddenly seems very beatable. In TX, ME, and KS, Cruz got 40-odd% of the vote and beat Trump in double digits. In Maine, the incumbent GOP governor endorsed Trump, and Cruz still won.

We have 4 contests Tuesday (MI, ID, HI, MS); the polls I've seen are limited, but Cruz has the best ground game of the final four, and he's been outperforming the polls. I'm not sure but it seemed today that Rubio's supporters may be capitulating jumping to the Cruz campaign. We'll know better Tuesday night, but I would not be surprised if Cruz did well. The question is: will Kasich or Rubio leave before the humiliation of losing their home states? I think their chances are not very good.

Election Betting Odds shows Cruz now resurrecting to second place to the overwhelming favorite Trump. My whole outlook changed based on tonight's results. I think Cruz is in an uptrend. If Trump is not worried, he should be.

On the Dem side, Sanders won 2 of 3 against Clinton (NE, KS vs. LA). But Clinton already has nearly half the delegates needed to clinch the nomination and I expect her to do well Tuesday in MI, MS, with high percentages of black Democrats.

Reason Visits CPAC



Lawless Government



The Young Messiah: Opening Next Weekend



Political Cartoon
Courtesy of the original artist via LFC
Musical Interlude: My Favorite Vocalists

Stevie Wonder, "If You Really Love Me"