Analytics

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Miscellany: 1/22/14

Quote of the Day

The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be 
ruined by praise than 
saved by criticism.
Norman Vincent Peale

Government Persecution of a Small Business



Public Education: A Tribute

Via Independent Institute





Facebook Corner

(Bastiat Institute). In Texas, warning people of a speed trap can get you arrested (JA)
So much for that whole freedom of speech thing.

(Reason Magazine). "Patients who want to qualify for medical marijuana in Illinois would have to be fingerprinted for a background check and pay $150 a year — and give up their right to own a gun, state officials proposed Tuesday."
Since when can the state arbitrarily exclude the right to self-defense? Simply unconstitutional.

I Miss My Texas Bluebonnets

One of my favorite things while I was in grad school in Houston was driving home via I-10 West from Houston over the Easter weekend and stretching at a rest stop, smelling that sweet fragrance. Lots of things I miss about my home state, including the cuisine--especially BBQ and Tex-Mex and all those gorgeous women (well, at least seeing them).

Via rantlifestyle
Political Cartoon

Courtesy of Henry Payne and Townhall
Musical Interlude: My iPod Shuffle Series

Elvis Presley, "Kentucky Rain". An early Eddie Rabbitt-penned hit--I honestly think the King's later hits were his best songs--also, "In the Ghetto", "Burning Love", etc. I was probably more of  country than pop music lover back then with Bobby Goldsboro, Glen Campbell, Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton, Lynn Anderson, etc. I just love the driving arrangement, and Presley's performance is spot on.