Analytics

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Miscellany: 1/09/14

Quote of the Day
Greatness lies not in being strong, 
but in the right use of strength.
Henry Ward Beecher

While I Was Away

I published a temporary post today; I did make a scheduling mistake with Sunday's post and an abbreviated Monday post (which have since been published for any interested reader). I expected to have Internet service by late Monday afternoon to update my short post. Over the past 4 days, it's become clear how much I rely on the Internet; I didn't even realize Florida State won the NCAA football crown Monday... I think the unforeseen 2 day gap in publication is the first time in years. The posts should return to a regular schedule and format next month; but until then, although I expect to publish daily, the posts may be shorter than usual. I probably won't publish my recently regular Facebook Corner feature frequently in the interim.

And Heaven Numbered One More Angel

I stole the title from a book my mom owned when she was a young girl. (I even found a listing for it on Amazon.) Familiar readers may remember I covered the story of a dying young girl, Delaney Brown, whom had a simple wish: Christmas carolers to visit her in West Reading, PA, and thousands showed up. This beautiful sweetheart passed on Christmas Day; my thoughts and prayers are with her family and friends. I just know the heavenly choir sounds just a bit sweeter with their newest soprano.

SCOTUS Rebukes Activist Obama Judge on Utah Marriage Law: Thumbs UP!

If you did read my inaugural Bad Judge of the Year post, my commentary here should be no surprise. Utah's marriage law was reversed by Judge Shelby shortly before Christmas in favor of "gay marriage" by judicial fiat. The court did not explicitly overrule Shelby yet--but a unanimous stay makes it clear the judge overstepped his authority. Indeed, SCOTUS did not issue a sweeping ruling negating over 30 states reaffirming traditional marriage, so this was a logical step by SCOTUS. Our democratic republic becomes a sham if the traditionally regulated social norms of a state do not reflect the views of the majority. Notice here I'm not referring to negative liberties. I make a distinction between a prohibition on relationships and a special social status for nontraditional relationships.

I have to admit to a difference of opinions with many, if not most libertarians. If a state wants to market itself as a "gay marriage" state--fine. But for the life of me, I don't get why libertarians are arguing for state regulation of gay relationships. I heard a Cato Institute speaker refer to a "prohibition" on "gay marriages". What utter nonsense! Gays are trying to co-opt a heterosexual institution. Nobody is advocating a ban on homosexual relationships.

The leap of logic is apparent in this simple example: I am not physically gifted to be a pro athlete. I would not make a cut of any sports team. It doesn't mean that pro teams have banned or blacklisted me. I simply don't qualify. I have to deal with it and move on. Maybe I can join an intramural softball league--I can still play sports, even if it's not at the pro level. (Honestly speaking, even if I was good enough, I'm not sure I would play in the big leagues; there's a lifestyle choice.)

I do feel a little odd as a never-married straight bachelor defending traditional marriage. But I worry about unintended consequences to socially experimental policies.

Political Cartoon

Courtesy of Lisa Benson and Townhall
Musical Interlude: My iPod Shuffle Series

Mick Jagger, "God Gave Me Everything"