Analytics

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Miscellany: 1/05/14

Quote of the Day
My brothers,
let us start all over again,
because we haven’t done anything yet.
St. Francis

Publication Notes

Due to business reasons, today's and tomorrow's posts may be pre-scheduled and/or in abbreviated form

Pussy Riot, Radical Feminism and Religious Liberty

I have to admit that I was one of the bloggers whom portrayed Pussy Riot sympathetically; I never was really happy with the idea that the feminist band interrupted a church service, which violates the rights of others to worship peacefully, a fundamental concept of religious liberty. I focused more on the anti-Putin nature of the lyrics and the Russian government's aggressive prosecution of the protesters. I still think multi-year punishments were excessive. But Evans pens a sobering perspective here, pointing out that the group has an anti-capitalist/anti-liberty agenda, a more balanced perspective.

But the recent spectacle of a topless feminist pro-abort protest during Christmas mass in Germany is at least as uncivil and unacceptable for the same reason. I do not know how so-called feminists can get so agitated over their legal right to have an innocent preborn baby killed at the mere whim of the mother; we don't allow parents the legal right to abuse or grossly neglect their born children; however morally repulsed I may be by pro-abort views, I recognize their right of free expression; however, this does not mean imposing one's views on the equal rights of others to worship and/or express their own opinions peaceably.

Facebook Corner

(We the Individuals). Have any of you since becoming libertarian rewatched a favorite war movie only to have a negative impression with it or the movie affected you differently? If so, what movies were they and how did you feel?
Joyeux Noel. I find it a compelling retell of the spontaneous 1914 Christmas Eve truce along the Western front. You get a sense of the frustration of men being manipulated by generals from the comfort and security of war headquarters.

Musical Interlude: My iPod Shuffle Series

Theme from Phantom of the Opera (featuring Michael Crawford and Sarah Brightman). My favorite Andrew Lloyd Webber tune. There is something about the slightly manic driving arrangement and vocals...