Analytics

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Miscellany: 11/11/12

Quote of the Day
A government that robs Peter to pay Paul 
can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw

Earlier One-Off Post

I wrote an earlier post today  A Day in the Life which probably comes closest of any post I've written to what it was like listening to one of my lectures as a student. I've listed some of my articles and book chapters  in my hub webpage. Most MIS curricula did not cover human factors/ergonomics. I did get a chance to teach a course at ISU which had a relevant graduate course  in their hybrid applied computer science program; most of my experience at ISU was a living hell, having to deal with a morally bankrupt department chair and senior faculty but teaching that course was a pure joy, the most fun I had in a classroom.

My students probably didn't think so, because it wasn't an easy A course (I was more rigorous  than most professors where I taught) but my lectures were replete with examples, anecdotes, etc. I'n a very good speaker with a dry wit.

There was a risk for my doing interdisciplinary research, for a junior professor to assume a leadership position without funding or actively-researching  colleagues, particularly fellow applied behavioral researchers--all my papers are sole-authored (I did list a co-author a couple of times, but she helped with data collection).  I offered to put my dissertation chair's name on a few papers, but he refused, saying he didn't want to take credit for my work. I LOVE academic conferences and tried to network,  but it was one-sided; I was never solicited by another researcher. It was more of a Mikey LIFE commercial.

I was better known among technical communication and HCI qcademics than in my own discipline.The biggest thrill? Meeting Ben Shneiderman (who wrote a classic Software Psychology) in person at one of Jane Carey's symposia, not unlike a rock fan meeting Mick Jagger; I had earlier contacted him while I was at UWM; he was doing some work on hypermedia, but I was leaving UWM.

The Fallacy of Net Neutrality

This blog opposes pushing-on-a-string federal meddling in the robust ISP market. I can obtain all types of material on the web, not censored.



Obama's Class Warfare Math Doesn't Add Up

This is not the first time I've featured Dr. Davies' videos; he has a way of presenting compelling points with charts and statistics, No, Davies doesn't not make specific reference to spendthrift Dems, but not even crony unionist math teachers can make sense of Obama's claim we can't afford the quarter of Bush tax relief going to the people paying the most taxes, but we can the remaining 75%.. And we're not even talking opportunity costs of higher income spending and investment, or the perverse effect of progressive rates on income and economic growth



Musical Interlude: My Favorite Groups

The Carpenters, "Jambalaya". What could be better for a Franco-American fan of the Carpenters than Karen's lustrous vocals on Hank Williams' Cajun classic?