Analytics

Sunday, March 15, 2020

Post #4510 Social Digest Media

Youtube

[I believe the context involved a libertarian Youtube video clip discussing economic policies considered in dealing with the coronavirus crisis. One of the measures discussed was Trump revisiting the precedent of a partial payroll tax holiday.]

GIboy1990

I'm a libertarian and I will never disagree with a tax cut.

Ronald Guillemette

I'm a libertarian, and a payroll tax isn't really a tax but a defined benefit program that historically has paid out more than it's taken in. Whereas I think we need to privatize entitlements, "tax cuts" exacerbate the unfunded entitlement program, which most likely will result in tax increases.

GIboy1990

@Ronald Guillemette it's in the name. It's a tax.

Ronald Guillemette

@GIboy1990 Ordinarily I would ignore a stupid response. It's not a tax in the definition sense "a compulsory financial charge or some other type of levy imposed upon a taxpayer (an individual or legal entity) by a governmental organization in order to fund various public expenditures". The government does not use payroll taxes for its general funding expenditures or operations, except indirectly (trust funds, funded from surpluses in pay as you go, are required to invest in government debt). FICA taxes are really more like mandated contributions for which you expect entitled benefits upon certain vesting criteria being met. Nominally it's a tax in the sense it funds a government program, but in theory it's a lockbox concept dedicated to individual, not general purposes

Facebook





[Protestant] BIL  Yet none of them worthy of being a priest...

Well, "worthy" isn't a correct term; there are thousands of priests not recognized as saints. The Church has maintained this on the grounds that Jesus' apostles were men. And keep in mind not all male religious are priests; others are "brothers". Personally, I don't have an issue with female priests or married men priests. But I don't like politically correct bullshit being used to discuss this matter.

it's just ironic to honor these women but to also say they cannot be leaders in the Church.

what are you talking about? They have been recognized as role models. At work, there are two types of authority: the organizational hierarchy; and then there are informal leaders. In most of my jobs, I wasn't a direct supervisor, but I had enormous influence because I had the ability to get things done and in many cases I was asked to train others, they backed my efforts in dealing with others, etc. And to be frank, things like budget responsibilities, hiring people, dealing with HR, endless meetings, etc. are a burden, not a blessing. My manager back at MKI was the techie co-founder. He found himself meeting with clients, dealing with account issues, etc; this is a dude who loved to code and wrote computer games in his spare time.

As my sister may have told you, I initially had intentions of becoming a priest. My Mom made vestments out of beach towels. There were reasons it didn't work out, although I had an initial meeting with the Jesuits (Francis is a Jesuit). First, the Church had become far too liberal (not in a political sense, but all too eager to be "relevant" to the culture); second, I had started dating, and I didn't want to commit myself to a celibate lifestyle.

Do I consider myself "inferior" in not becoming a priest? No. I was never interested in being a diocesan priest like my uncle, running a parish, hearing confessions, etc. So I don't see it in conventional feminist ideological terms. I'm not persuaded by the male apostle point. I don't know if the female saints felt deprived by not serving as pastors, clerics, etc. I have no doubt many may have wanted that opportunity if it were available. And personally, especially given the vocation crisis in the Church, there's a strong argument to be made to expanding the pool of applicants. I'm just not crazy about the argument you're making, which reflects a presentist bias.

Twitter