Analytics

Sunday, April 14, 2019

Post #4066 Rant of the Day: The Assange Arrest and US Charges

Let's be clear: I've long had issues with what Bradley Manning and Ed Snowden did, and it has to do with the nature and extent of their theft of classified materials. This isn't simply a case where they stumbled across something covering up certain unconstitutional or illegal actions of the US government, where classification is abused to hide inconvenient facts from public scrutiny.

I have done professional IT work (mostly database administration work) on all levels of government (city, county, state, and federal). All of them had security policies which wee personally inconvenient. I remember in one case I was living in the southwest suburbs of Chicago when a city department database ran into a storage issue around 10 PM, something that would normally take maybe 5 minutes of busy work to resolve. They did not permit remote work for security reasons, which meant that I had to drive into downtown (40 minutes away) and I had to deal with building security once I got there. Nope, I couldn't bill my time to the client. I've been a professional Oracle DBA for roughly 26 years. In most cases, I've had non-disclosure agreements, private or public, I avoid connecting with current or prior professional contacts on social media (almost all Facebook friends are relatives). I carefully scrutinize my resume to focus on generic technical duties and accomplishments. I have never, and will never, disclose security vulnerabilities or other critiques regardless of circumstances; it's part of my professional ethics.

Have I been victimized during my professional career? Yes. I've built a reputation on getting things done; quite often, you run into petty/jealous opposition, people running hidden agendas. I wasn't interested in revenge; karma is a bitch. In a way I was carrying a weight on my shoulders, and being relieved of that burden was a blessing. I remember in one case at a Chicago project where I had been unfairly scapegoated, I heard from a frustrated Indian developer colleague who complained that the project had slowed to a crawl since I left, and he knew if I were still there, the project would have been completed already. It was true.

Wikileaks has notoriously exposed scandalous information about US military operations in the Bush/Obama/Trump era (including a Baghdad video showing the US shooting of journalists and/or civilians),  Gitmo, Climategate, and the Clinton/Dem campaign of 2016, just to mention a few prominent exposes. There is little doubt that Wikileaks is a journalism portal in the Internet Age; it has partnered with high-profile media (like the Gray Lady) on news stories; it has earned several peer journalist awards.

I  wrote a series of tweets Saturday (see below). I don't have all the pieces, but Ecuador, which has been sponsoring Assange in its London embassy about 6 years back, may have cut a deal with the US, which wants to try Assange. One of the reasons Assange sought asylum was dubious "rape" charges against him in Sweden by two consenting women upset over an allegedly torn condom or suspicion of unprotected sex. These charges were eventually dropped during Assange's embassy stay, although there are rumors Sweden may seek to resurrect the charges. There's little doubt, however, that in the end, Assange will be extradicted to the US.

Let's be clear: what the Trump Administration is doing here is resurrecting the case of Bradley/Chelsea Manning from 2010; among the related exposes was a Baghdad video of American soldiers shooting defenseless news reporters and civilians. The US is going out of its way to avoid identifying Assange as a journalist; it seems to be arguing that Manning and Assange conspired to work around government security policies and that Assange was a de facto computer hacker who blatantly disregarded government warnings.

Note that the Obama Administration, which did prosecute Manning, never filed charges against Assange. So what "new evidence" has led to this hacking charge? In my view, it has more to do with a new POTUS which has been in constant war with the media since he took office.

Manning had access to a huge treasure trove of secret files simply by virtue of his/her position. I cannot speak as to how it happened, because usually there is a need-to-know component to security design. So he probably had administrative privileges (and/or got access to administrative passwords though social engineering or other means) but for example, the network folks could control what servers his CAC/smartcard could access.

It's difficult because of sparse context of the charges to piece together what exactly is being charged, but this seems to be the context: Manning, after delivering a large amount of files to Wikileaks, says that there's likely more, but he doesn't have the necessary account privileges to access the material. There is some vague discussion of a software tool that gets "part of the password", and in some way, Manning is asking for assistance in cracking the password(s). (I don't know if this is from an intercepted communication, Manning's own testimony, etc.)

Now usually today's computers don't store passwords in human-readable form. Usually there's a hashing routine in addition to salt (some random data) to convert a password to some obscure value. So, for example, in Linux, password hashes may be stored in /etc/shadow. So when you try to logon, your password is converted via hashing algorithm, salt, etc., and compared to stored values (e.g., /etc/shadow).

Notice that even if you have access to /etc/shadow, this doesn't give you the password, and most facilities require frequent password rotation. Now given enough time and context (hashing algorithm, salt, etc.), a cracker program may be able to generate a password that computes to the observed hash, but it's nontrivial with today's technology.

If you read the charges, the US doesn't even assert Assange cracked a password for Manning. possessed relevant resources, attributed any loss of data to the matter under question, etc. They simply suggested what could have happened, that Assange himself had not been cleared, etc. It could be there's more to the case than they're showing, but if there was, why wait until now?

This looks to me as a deliberate attack on the press using Assange as a show trial target of an example. It's unconscionable and a violation of the principles underlying the founding of this republic.