Analytics

Saturday, March 18, 2017

Post #3151 M

Quote of the Day

When we accept tough jobs as a challenge to our ability 
and wade into them with joy and enthusiasm, 
miracles can happen.
Arland Gilbert  

Tweet of the Day









It's a Bunch of Little Cuts, But a Giant Leap For Americans




We Need More Open Immigration




Facebook Corner


(Pro-Life Libertarians). “You’re Pro-Birth, Not Pro-Life. If you were pro-life, you’d want children fed, clothed, educated, and housed.”
http://thekingsrights.com/pro-abortion-fallacies-youre-pro-birth-not-pro-life/
Taxation is not charity; it is theft. If I respond to my neighbor's need when he's down on his luck. that's virtuous. When a government agent classifies my neighbor as needy and takes money to give him, not out of his own pocket but mine at gunpoint, that doesn't make me virtuous; it makes me a victim. (And don't forget: the government bureaucracy always takes its own cut first, so only a nominal amount of my money ever gets to my neighbor's wallet, while 100% of my own gift does.)

The real hypocrite, of course, is the one who justifies government intervention on behalf of born life but argues against protection of preborn life.

We Did a Similar Thing on Religious Retreats


While I was a UH graduate student in the 1980's, the Catholic Newman Association on campus used to have one retreat weekend in the East Texas woods a few weeks into every semester At the end of our first retreat I attended, we participated in an exercise of hanging white poster boards on our backs with other retreat participants writing positive personal feedback. I still have that first one (my first nephew was also born on the opening night of the retreat. The first retreat was magical; I can still remember one of the Dominican priests  playing the flute walking down the path. It's where I first met Tim, then an accounting PhD student, later professor at the University of San Diego. (Tim was/is one of my "progressive" friends, more then ready to pay higher fast food prices for workers to have higher wages. I haven't heard from him in a while, particularly when I've transitioned to a more libertarian perspective. I came very close to joining him on faculty; I had a campus visit to USD, but they didn't make an offer around the end of my academic career.)



Well, If It's Not, It's Close


I have to admit it's one of my personal all-time favorites. I've fantasized performing a duet where an attractive female Navy officer and I are signaling distress from passing ships.



Political Cartoon


Courtesy of Glenn McCoy via Townhall

Musical Interlude: My Favorite Vocalists


Peter Cetera (with Amy Grant), "The Next Time I Fall". Cetera's second straight #1 and the song who introduced me to Amy Grant, then the most prominent Christian music artist. I would later buy her Collection and get blown away by "El Shaddai", "My Father's Eyes", "Thy Word",