Analytics

Sunday, March 12, 2017

Post # 3145 M

Quote of the Day

The brain is a wonderful organ. 
It starts working the moment you get up in the morning 
and does not stop until you get into the office.
Robert Frost  


Tweet of the Day

Image of the Day



Choose Life: The Miracle Baby Girl Twin




Facebook Corner


(Reason). Trump has transformed the GOP in his own image.
We know that the Dems didn't deliver on any of these issues during the Age of Obama. The problem is that you have an economically illiterate POTUS who does what all corrupt political whores do: throw money at problems. So somehow the GOP leaders in Congress have to deal with a sitting President who can sabotage tough medicine reforms with a veto.

We see a tough situation like in 2008 when George W. Bush famously abandoned free market principles to "save" the free market system. And GOP leaders had to carry Bush's water on TARP. The problem is, Trump is just another Hoover, and the GOP is setting itself up for another 1932/2006-8 debacle.

A funny thing happened after the Tea Party revolt in 2010. It got co-opted by the xenophobes, who want more government, not less. Nobody last year ran on principle. Even Cruz gave a labor protectionist spin on restricting immigration.

(Time). A White House Devoid of Integrity
 The author of this piece is making an assessment based on Trump's first week in office. I agree with some things he's done, disagree with others. I do think, however, when you attack Trump personally, like this author does, you lose the argument: you play right into his hands. You are going to be more effective if you construct a positive agenda, not recycling the same old same old since McGovern in 1972.

(Pro-Life Libertarians). Are you a ProLife Libertarian and Catholic?
https://www.facebook.com/Saint-Th%C3%A9r%C3%A8se-of-Lisieux-1759696781013847/
Yup, but I came to my position through the biological fact of conception, not from Church teaching. I had seen abortion in the papers and asked my Mom what it was, and she gave me a very nonjudgmental, clinical definition. I was horrified such a practice existed. I remember saying, "That's murder. What does the Church say? They've got to be against it."


Political Cartoon

Courtesy of  Chip Bok via Townhall


Musical Interlude: My Favorite Vocalists


Sheena Easton (originally with Prince), "U Got the Look". I don't know the deal, but I couldn't find a video with the original performance; there were a couple, but Youtube muted the vocal performance for copyright reasons. So I had to settle for a live performance clip, which isn't that great a recording. A separate point: she is about 53 in this clip. I don't have an issue with older women celebrating their sexuality; maybe she's just used to performing the song this same way over 30 years. It just makes me feel uncomfortable watching her, like she's trying to recapture her lost youth.

We have up to 2 selections left in this series before covering Peter Cetera.