Analytics

Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Post # 3005: Early Election Day

Quote of the Day

A moment's insight is sometimes worth a lifetime's experience.
Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.  

My Vote Today

Libertarians  debate the very concept of voting; most candidates are pro-State, and there is the fear that we implicitly consent to the concept of involuntary servitude under the overextended reach of government. In fact, I do not intend to vote for my new, unopposed Democratic Congressman for precisely that reason

I've mostly voted Republican since the 1980's precisely because the GOP has tended to promote a more economic liberty perspective. The nomination of Donald Trump is a betrayal of that trust; the Republicans by nominating Trump did the precise thing that I left the Democratic Party over. This is far more than Trump's embarrassing behavior and temperament, his lack of knowledge over the basics of policy, his pandering and self-promotion. He is anti-trade and anti-immigrant; he promotes use of troops but in an arbitrary, secretive "just trust me" sense. He pays lip service to things like cutting government but no plans to cut or reform proportionately increasing entitlements to a more manageable size. He has sold himself as the untested public sector executive and dismisses the facts of his 4 to 6 bankruptcies as smart business.

I'm voting for Gary Johnson, not just as a vote against Trump and against Clinton, but he's the only principled advocate of the free economy, for trade and immigration, for scaling back government and foreign interventions. I also intend to support McCain's reelection and to approve the marijuana initiative (although I personally oppose and have always abstained from marijuana use and production , I wish to legalize the existing market and decriminalize victimless crime). I often post after I've voted but I have a long workday and will schedule publication around midday. As I write, Election Betting Odds shows Clinton with an over 80% chance of victory and a 108 electoral vote advantage.

Image of the Day

The Legacy of Lame Duck President Obama



Freedom on Trial Part 3



Choose Life: The Beauty of Childbirth



My favorite Stones' Song



Political Cartoon

Courtesy of Steve Kelley via Townhall
Musical Interlude: My Favorite Vocalists

Kenny Loggins, "Nobody's Fool"