Analytics

Sunday, November 13, 2016

Miscellany: #3011 M

Quote of the Day

Don't underestimate the value of Doing Nothing, 

of just going along, 
listening to all the things you can't hear, 
and not bothering.
Winnie the Pooh  

Tweet of the Day
The Dems in Chicago's Cook County Tax Consumables

Oh, there's a rationalization: the elitists want to discourage the consumption of "unhealthy" beverages for the consumer's "own good", of course. Of course, upper-income taxpayers only consume a small proportion of said beverages and probably won't flinch at paying a higher cost (or easily work around the tax hike). This shifts more of the revenue burden to where the goods are sold: to lower or middle income consumers.



Autocratic Illinois State Politics



Let It Go, Let It Go, Let It Go...

And we'll welcome the counties which have wanted to secede from the People's Republic of California...



Brooks On Earned Wealth and Happiness



The Reality of Diversity in America

Four of my 6 siblings married non-Catholics (3 converted years into marriage); at least 2 of my nephews and nieces have married people from a different race or ethnicity, and I have a gay nephew. I personally have dated a black woman and Latinas. I have had black, Latino and female supervisors. My best friends in fifth grade and undergraduate school came from different backgrounds. I went to public high school and private colleges in heavily Latino communities. Among my best friends are an Asian-immigrant (Taiwanese) female professor, a Southern Baptist, and Jewish and Hindu IT professionals. I didn't need progressive academia or the affirmative action industrial complex to lecture me on diversity, because I've been living it all my life, being raised in an integrated military community.



Facebook Corner

(National Review) John Bolton For Secretary of State.
OH HELL, NO. We don' t need a goddamned neocon as Secretary of State. If Donald Trump is smart (and that's doubtful), he'll choose Ron Paul.
What???? Ron Paul is an idiot and he is my senator....
well lets just say, he is way too old and not the conservative people thinks he is. And an isolationist in that position would not be a good fit.
Commenter1 Ron Paul is a retired Congressman and has never been a senator. As for Commenter2, consider the fact that Trump spent all campaign criticizing the Iraq invasion; Ron Paul was one of the few lawmakers who opposed it from the start..

 Political Cartoon
Courtesy of Gary Varvel via Townhall
Musical Interlude: My Favorite Vocalists

Cher (with Sonny), "The Beat Goes On".