Analytics

Saturday, October 3, 2015

Miscellany: 10/03/15

Quote of the Day
Ideas shape the course of history.
John Maynard Keynes

Image of the Day




Learn Liberty's photo.

Rand Paul On Education and Common Core



The Housing Crisis and Corrupt Policies



Political Potpourri: Has the Trump Wave Finally Crested?

The latest poll results from RCP include an IBD poll with a 7-point lead for Carson over Trump nationwide while a Friday Louisiana poll had him up by 4. I have to note a number of polls over the past week have shown Trump leading the pack with up to a 2-digit lead, including the Pew poll Friday. But there's also the fact that Trump barely holds a 5-point lead in Iowa, Wisconsin, North Carolina pand Texas. (He still held, at last glance, decent leads in Georgia, Florida and New Hampshire.) I don't think Trump will let his diminishing grasp of the polls go without a fight. I think clearly he lost his momentum with the second debate, but I think the populist surge is long in the tooth; even Hillary Clinton, with some of her lowest numbers ever, is continuing to beat Trump one-on-one, and Donald Trump came forth with controversial policies on tax and healthcare which are causing conservatives heartburn. If the October debate starts focusing on Trump's proposals, expect the other candidates  to pounce on them. I do not know at what part Trump starts running political ads, but Jeb Bush has already; I've seen about half a dozen on television recently. I also seems that Rubio is slowly beginning to pull into the double-digits, edging his one-time mentor, Jeb Bush. Fiorina seems to be stalling in the low double-digits. Over the past week, Rand Paul has had to address rumors that he is ready to pull the plug on a campaign as his campaign finds it increasingly harder to attract donations; he looks fairly strong in some early caucus states; I also think his natural anti-establishment vote is now going to the 3 leading outsiders; I would not be surprised if any combination of outsiders fail, Paul could benefit. If I was a betting man, though, I think Rubio is far more charismatic than Clinton or Biden and has the broadest appeal of anyone in the field. I still recall how Rubio came out of nowhere to surge past Crist's bid for the US Senate in 2010.

On the Tenth Anniversary of Katrina: Lessons Learned




An Unsung Hero of Hurricane Katrina: Wal-Mart



Political Cartoon
Courtesy of Mike Lester via Patriot Post
Courtesy of the original artist via IPI
Musical Interlude: My Favorite Vocalists

Roberta Flack, "The First Time I Ever Saw Your Face". Her signature tune, one of the best singles ever recorded, and the first of 3 #1 performances. I remember hearing it played over loudspeakers when I was an undergraduate, and my baby sister chose it for her wedding.