Analytics

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Miscellany: 6/03/15

Quote of the Day
In politics an absurdity is not a handicap.
Napoleon Bonaparte

Image of the Day


Pop Economics



Jerry Brown's Folly and Eminent Domain Victims



Ohio Needs To Give GreenCab the Green Light to Compete

I almost ended up joining the faculty of BGSU near Toledo, OH; I actually liked the university better than UWM, hut BGSU didn't offer one of my priorities--a chance to teach graduate classes, at least once in a while. (They had a local textbook author who "owned" the MIS MBA service course. The faculty member who was my recruiter thought it was because they screwed up my schedule (I literally was at the school an hour before flight time--and the guy driving me to the airport stopped to fill his gas tank on the way. Even without TSA, that was a stretch; last flight out, and I was on a dead run for the gate--they had already closed the door by the time I got there.)) Yes, I did manage to get on the flight, but I can honestly say the reason I accepted UWM's offer was UWM offered graduate courses in an MIS graduate discipline. Quite frankly, I wasn't impressed by the faculty or administrators. UWM's offer wasn't immediate so I had to keep BGSU on hold. It turns out the guy they offered my spot to went up for tenure and got it his fourth year, while UWM and UTEP were hell on earth for me. My last year in academia was on a one-year visiting appointment to ISU, which had its own hellish office politics. When I dreamt of becoming a professor, I rhought it would be a Leibnizian culture where we would dispassionately come to an amicable settlement of differences. Yeah, right; boy, was I young and naive. They were like pompous jerks and divas on steroids, where junior professors needed to know their place. My very first semester I was threatened over tenure when I PRIVATELY criticized an incompetent dissertation proposal.



Facebook Corner

(FEE). If the idea of criminalizing policy differences was ever something to dismiss as an unimportant fringe position, it is no longer. http://at.fee.org/1debtGW
 If it's a crime to shout fire in a crowded theater, what is it for climate change climate alarmists to promote panic and economic damage through unsupported propaganda and reckless counterproductive public policy?

Political Cartoon

Courtesy of Bob Gorrell via Townhall
Courtesy of Gary Varvel via Patriot Post
Courtesy of Eric Allie via IPI

Musical Interlude: My Favorite Vocalists

Cat Stevens, "Ready"