Analytics

Monday, December 15, 2014

Miscellany: 12/15/14

Quote of the Day
The best portion of a good man's life is the little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and love.
William Wordsworth

Chart of the Day: The Poverty Trap of  ObamaCare and the Welfare State
Courtesy of the Independent Institute
Image of the Day
The Best President of the Twentieth Century



Economic Liberty and Occupational Licensing of Braiding



Basketball Player/Cancer Patient Lauren Hill Has One Wish for Christmas--To Be Here

September 2014, her doctor told Lauren she won't live past December. Very few of us are looking forward to feeling the true meaning of Christmas more than Lauren Hill as her body fails her more every day. Speaking of gifts, her father Brent says he's frustrated he can't get a Christmas list from any of his children. Lauren says he won't get one, "'Dad I don't want anything for Christmas, I really don't.' I just want to be there, that's what I want. I wanna be there."


The Little Road to Bethlehem



Swear to God: From Obama's Bible...

From The Week:
While there are plenty of Bible verses to mention while discussing immigration, President Obama on Tuesday quoted one which isn't so great, mainly because it's not real. "The good book says don't throw stones at glass houses, or make sure we're looking at the log in our eye before we are pointing out the mote in other folks eyes," Obama said during a speech in Nashville. One problem, though: The Bible never mentions glass houses.
Now we know what Bible Obama swore on: “I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.”

Don't Cops Have Better Things to Do: 2014 in Review



Facebook Corner


(Pacific Legal Foundation). Who's been NAUGHTY this year?
Have you noticed? Bureaucrats don't seem to understand that their powers are limited and that Americans have certain inalienable rights to life, liberty, and property. We're keeping a list of the biggest offenders of our Constitution and checking it twice.
This year, the list of those who deserve a lump of coal in their stocking is long. Here are just a few... http://conta.cc/16os07S
Of course, Obama has an injunction against Santa's distribution of coal, and the latest rewrite of "A Christmas Carol" shows Scrooge using carbon taxes to excuse not adding coal to the furnace.

(National Review).  Reverend Jesse Jackson compared the lack of diversity in the tech industry to segregation during his speech at an inclusion workshop.
I can only speak from my experience, but I have repeatedly run across people of color my professional DBA career. My EPA project manager in 1993 was a lady of color, a major account executive at a market research firm, two black DBA's I worked with at Oracle served as personal references, a couple of Unix system admins I worked with on federal projects, a developer supervisor at a management consulting firm, and my boss who was the president of a small IT government contractor. I've also worked with a flood of Asians (especially Indians); I remember attending one project meeting at a Maryland biotech client where I was the only white male in the room. I have personally dealt with a nontrivial percentage of female project managers, bosses, clients, and colleagues. I do not know what Jackson is referring to, but it is not consistent with my experience in IT academia or professional work.

My Greatest Hits: Dec. 2014
Political Cartoon
Courtesy of Michael Ramirez via Patriot Post
Courtesy of Gary McCoy via Townhall
Musical Interlude: Christmas 2014

Boston Pops,  "A Christmas Festival"