Analytics

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Miscellany: 3/25/14

Quote of the Day
I got a fortune cookie that said, 
"To remember is to understand." 
I have never forgotten it. 
A good judge remembers 
what it was like 
to be a lawyer. 
A good editor remembers 
being a writer. 
A good parent remembers 
what it was like 
to be a child.
Anna Quindlen

Images of the Day
Religious Liberty vs. ObamaCare Day at SCOTUS
Courtesy of CatholicVote via Catholic Libertarians
[Let's hope the 5 Catholic Justices remember the First Amendment....]


Via Citizens Against Government Waste
[If taxpayers are subject to an audit, the government itself and its corrupt creations (e.g., the Fed Reserve) all the more should be subject to the same.]

Pro-Liberty Thought of the Day

Courtesy of Security Degree Hub

Police Bust a Move With Exotic Dancers: Your Tax Dollars at Work (?)




"Social Justice" = "Collective Plunder"



ObamaCare, Compulsory Subsidization of Anti-Life Practices, Religious Liberty, and SCOTUS



Towards Transparency and Accountability




Facebook Corner

(Illinois Policy Institute). Speaker Madigan is calling for another big tax hike. He and his legislative colleagues have already burned through $25 billion in new tax revenues since the 2011 temporary tax hike, and now they want more.
I can just hear Madigan reprising Chicago's (of course) first #1 hit: "If you leave me now, you'll take away the biggest part of me...please don't go And if you leave me now, you'll take away the very heart of me...A love like ours is love that's hard to find, How could we let it slip away? We've come too far to leave it all behind. How could we end it all this way? When tomorrow comes and we'll both regret. The things we said today..." To which the productive ones, leaving Illinois in their rearview mirrors, sing a contemporary hit: "Don't Look Back"....

(Illinois Policy Institute). A strong majority of Illinoisans oppose extending the temporary income tax hike.
Listening to Illinois residents complain about Quinn, Madigan and all the other legal plunderers reminds me of the Cherokee legend, the little boy and the rattlesnake. (Think of the little boy as an Illinois voter and the snake as--take a wild guess):

The rattlesnake was getting old. He asked, "Please little boy, can you take me to the top of the mountain? I hope to see the sunset one last time before I die." The little boy answered "No Mr. Rattlesnake. If I pick you up, you'll bite me and I'll die." The rattlesnake said, "No, I promise. I won't bite you. Just please take me up to the mountain." ...

The next day the rattlesnake turned to the boy and asked, "Please little boy, will you take me back to my home now? It is time for me to leave this world, and I would like to be at my home now." 

He carefully picked up the snake, took it close to his chest, and carried him back to the woods, to his home to die. Just before he laid the rattlesnake down, the rattlesnake turned and bit him in the chest. The little boy cried out and threw the snake upon the ground. "Mr. Snake, why did you do that? Now I will surely die!" The rattlesnake looked up at him and grinned, "You knew what I was when you picked me up."

(Reason). Join in the debate! Should vaccines be mandatory?
A lot of people are engaging in sloganeering. In fact, if any person with a preventable or containable disease affects the health or lives of others, it's a form of aggression, and they should be held accountable. Vaccination is a form of insurance...Note that vaccine efficacy varies, and there are also potential side effects. I'm not sure a vaccine mandate would be enforceable and would rather use persuasion and contractual incentives and/or rights.

(Illinois Policy Institute). Anyone with at least $22,000 in taxable income would see their total tax bill increase under a progressive tax hike proposal released today by Sen. Don Harmon. The typical Illinois family with an income of $70,144 will see a tax hike of $484.
There's a lemon law for many defective consumer goods, but "progressive" politicians are exempt.

Political Cartoon

Courtesy of Lisa Benson and Townhall
[But the Democrats have more faith in global warming...]

Political Humor

In an interview with “Meet the Press,” former President Jimmy Carter said he won’t send emails because he believes the NSA is reading them. And also because he can’t find the “send” button on his typewriter. - Seth Meyers

[The NSA wasn't even reading anything Carter wrote when he was President...]

When Obama meets with the G-7 leaders it must be fun for him to put faces to the voices he hears on the wiretaps. - David Letterman

[Chancellor Merkel wasn't amused when she caught Obama retelling Prime Minister Cameron the same private joke she told President Hollande last year.]

Musical Interlude: My iPod Shuffle Series

Elton John, "The Last Song"