Analytics

Saturday, March 22, 2014

Miscellany: 3/22/14

Quote of the Day
People ask the difference between a leader and a boss. . . . 
The leader works in the open, 
and the boss is covert. 
The leader leads, 
and the boss drives.
Theodore Roosevelt

Obama and Change
Courtesy of the original artist via the Independent Institute
Smart Growth--Gas Taxes Funding the "Progressive" Hubris of Centrally Planned High Density Cities



Water Politics: A Dysfunctional Statist Manipulated Market



Facebook Corner

(from a personal friend). I sent a birthday package to my granddaughter for her upcoming 4th birthday on Wednesday online through the USPS. The message told me it would arrive in Dallas, TX on Friday. They always very kindly send me messages telling me where my package is. Imagine my surprise when I was notified 3 times Thursday night/Friday morning (8:17 p.m., 1:26 a.m., and 2:38 a.m.) that my package had been processed through the USPS sort facility in Philadelphia, PA. It should have gone straight to Dallas. No more messages since then, and no package in Dallas. Thanks, USPS!
I've had multiple bad experiences. In one case, I sent my Mom a jewelry box with some stained glass insides. It arrived with the glass inside shattered. Their response? If you would have paid us more, we would have handled it better. 

In a second case, while I was teaching at UTEP, I had ordered some software sold under a money-back guarantee; long story short, I returned the software, the vendor balked at issuing a refund, claiming they hadn't received the shipment. I went to file for reimbursement of USPS insurance. USPS told me it was my responsibility to get the vendor to sign, under warning of criminal prosecution for perjury, they hadn't received it. I told them, "Here is their letter saying they didn't get the package; the vendor is in Chicago; I can't go there in person." The USPS Latino supervisor told me we couldn't disturb the public and led me down to his office. I noticed a half dozen Latino postal workers file in behind me; I didn't pay attention to them, and the argument continued, when all of a sudden I was sharply punched from behind in the kidney area. I turned around to confront the attacker, when the supervisor and workers played like the 3 monkeys.

In the third case, to provide context, I've repeatedly told my Mom over the years I want my apartment complex managers to sign for my deliveries; it's much faster and convenient for me to get them that way because of my work schedule. My Mom, with typical Mom logic, disregards my wishes. (Example: if I gave my Mom a suggested gift idea of a tie and said, "Whatever you do, don't buy me a red tie; I hate red ties", she'll buy me a red tie and tell me what kind of nice clothes match a red tie...) So she sent me apparently some nice, unique birthday gift with the provision of personal signature only, rationalizing it that she wants to make sure I got it; I've reminded her I always acknowledge her gifts in other ways (emails, calls, letters, whatever). I loathed my MD postal carrier for reasons beyond this post, but let's just say he went out of his way to let me know I couldn't pick up the package at the apartment complex office because of my mother's delivery instructions. I go to the local Baltimore suburb post office (which was a pain because of very limited public parking slots available), wait a half hour just to be told, "Sorry, sir. We don't hold packages here. You'll have to call this number to reschedule delivery." Long story short, they spend a couple of weeks looking for the package and can't find it. I suggest I'll check with apartment management just on the chance the carrier delivered it there even though he told me otherwise. The apartment management misunderstands, thinking an allegation was made they were responsible for losing my package, and their response is, "We don't want to be involved. In the meanwhile, to avoid any future misunderstanding, we won't sign for your packages anymore. Other residents, yes; you--no." The local carrier leaves an "in-your-face" gleeful note of the management's decision; it's like being back in elementary school.

But that's not the end of the story. My Mom has to collect the insurance, right? There were multiple USPS bureaucratic battles. one in Texas (I think my Mom was told she would have to refile at another office) and between Texas and Maryland. It took several weeks for her to collect.

The USPS is sort of a touchy subject. From a political perspective in my blog, I've argued for privatization, and I won't get into that in this post, except to say it's not personal (I've also had airlines misplace luggage). But I've had relatives in my extended family whom have worked at USPS.

Political Cartoon
Courtesy of Gary Varvel and Townhall


Musical Interlude: My iPod Shuffle Series

Dave Mason, "Every World". I think I first heard this tune covered by Mac Davis (I'm a big fan of both singer/songwriters. Mason is probably best known for "We Just Disagree", and I think he recorded the definitive version of "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?"--I don't care if he barely touched Top 40; you cannot improve on that performance (go on and click  on that link--you know you want to). Both tunes will make cameo appearances in the countdown.