Analytics

Friday, May 17, 2019

Post #4107 M: Statues, Jefferson and Real History

Quote of the Day

To the world you may be just one person, 
but to one person you may be the world.
Brandi Snyder  

My Greatest Hits: May 2019

Readership seems to continue to recover, although still below the numbers of a couple of years back. I still don't think Google is promoting the blog (it's wanting promotion money) I'm now roughly 500 pageviews shy of hitting the 200K milestone.which will probably occur before June 1. My specialty formats, like my social media editions, continue to do well.



Brion McClanahan on Confederate Statues and Local Autonomy

I think I first came across McClanahan on a Tom Woods podcast (he is also affiliated with Woods' home school program, which I think in turn is affiliated with the Ron Paul program). I was impressed enough to subscribe to his email distro.

Trump recently went on a tweet tantrum, using the term "treason" in reference to his target. I responded with a mocking meme response of the nature " Treason. You use that word, but it doesn't mean what you think it means." So McClanahan in his latest email eviscerates Trump's use of the word and points to Lincoln's behavior as treasonous. I went to his website trying to find a post with his email content (it may be there but I didn't find it).

In the process, I stumbled across this podcast and found its Youtube version (and took the opportunity to subscribe to his feeds). Basically the podcast is a response to a Reason post which attacks opposition to local autonomy on removing Confederate statues. Isn't this consistent with McClanahan's own signature maxim of "think locally, act locally"?  Spoiler here: I encourage the listener to listen to the whole podcast, but basically he argues erecting a statue may be delegated autonomy, but basically the municipality is subordinate to and the creation of the state, and the state reserves the right to review municipality actions, such as removing statues. He also points out the preponderance of  Southern statues were not of military or government figures but of a common/unknown soldier, and most of these were funded not by government, but private sources.



Tom Woods on Leftist Smears of Jefferson



Choose Life










Political Cartoon

Courtesy of Ken Catalino via Townhall


Musical Interlude: My Favorite Vocalists

Natalie Cole, "Someone That I Used to Love"