Analytics

Sunday, November 18, 2018

Post #3879 J: Business Changes, Directions, and a Trip to the Hospital

People and Directions

This is a recurring topic in my practical computing blog; people really suck at giving directions, even familiar destinations (like one's own house). Many people seem oblivious to even obvious markers. My favorite personal example is I once drove to a job interview with only a street address for directions. Buildings  were at least a half mile off the road and I really couldn't see any legible street or building number, so I had to drive off the street to get building IDs. When I finally arrived at the target building, I couldn't help noticing a huge water fountain directly in front it, with a soldier mounted on a horse. It was so obviously a landmark you have to wonder how someone wouldn't reference it in directions.

So in an incident described below, the clinic physician was stammering to give directions to the hospital. "Well it's a 4-story building on the left; if you've driven to the mall, you've gone too far." Well, not much of a help because I didn't shop in the area. And then he hit on the only place I've been to in the area: "It's across the street from the DMV." Much, much better. Not every town has a DMV, and I've had to go there 3 or 4 times. I chuckled to myself that I never noticed a large hospital complex across the street. I had been concerned because I was driving in the dark and my cell data functionality wasn't working (i.e., Google Maps).  It still wasn't great once I got into the complex because the signs around the maze were barely legible in the dark.

So my hospital physician brought me back to reality scheduling a follow-up a followup at their clinic affiliate. "Where is it?" "Well, I think it's in the complex somewhere...." Well, I've got a street address and have my new Garmin, not to mention I fixed my cellphone's data issue... I didn't have a Garmin or cellphone while I lived in Irving, TX.

My Little Sister Is Retiring Over the Coming Months

I've got 4 little sisters, but as the first born, the oldest one is 14 months younger than me. She's already counting the days. They are planning to move to my brother-in-law's home state of Ohio. The next oldest, my middle brother, about 3 years younger save 2 weeks, is already building a retirement home between San Antonio and Austin. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a millionaire on paper; I think he's qualified for pensions from two energy companies (one public and one private) and been in middle management for over a decade, including annual bonuses. (I think I once got a turkey as a company perk.)  I don't mind; if anyone does well, I would like it to be my relatives. He worked hard for his success, having targeted a career as a chemical engineer; he's never understood with my strong math skills, why I never became an engineer (I did consider it while I was serving in the Navy as a math instructor). My actual retirement investments are down this year, by about 6% under the so-called Trump economy (especially hurt by the tech market correction). Unlike those 2 siblings, I don't have a pension to fall back on (beyond social security) and have no plans to retire (in fact a few months back extended my Sec+ certification through 2023).

Some time back I played a Twitter hash tag game to the effect how one knows he is getting old. I mentioned something to the effect seeing one's younger siblings retire (well short of the venerable 65-67 for social security's full benefits).  Still, it's surreal. I had a brother-in-law who had been thinking of retiring at 50 until he decided to leave the corporate rat race (he would have had to move from Texas during corporate layoffs) and had an expensive mortgage during the Great Recession.

Things Keep Changing: McDonald's and the Airlines

It shows how often I get out. I hadn't been inside a McDonald's in months (not good for my diet). But I hadn't eaten since a late breakfast and I was about to go to the hospital and who knows when I might get a chance to eat. So I faced a job-killer kiosk (although you still have humans staffing the drive-rhru and probably had one or 2 cashiers open for Luddites. It took a couple of seconds to figure out it was a touchscreen driven process. In this variation, you end up picking up a number stand for your table and registering it with your order . One of the staffers will drop a beverage cup and then your meal. Not much to complain about except she didn't bring a napkin and I didn't see a napkin dispenser anywhere.

I went pricing for an upcoming holiday trip, and it seems (at least for American and Delta) there's basically a new pricing system where basic economy fares are subject to restrictions (like choosing your seats, say together as a family, snack/beverage privileges, access to overheads or rebooking flexibility). So I'm guessing for the cheapest fares you might find yourself stuck with middle seats or seats with little or no reclining ability), The premium seems to be about $30 per each way. Of course, luggage will be priced at another $30. It also looks like they're trying to monetize other perks like early boarding. Since I am overweight, I prefer aisle seats, and I'm willing to pay a small premium. It would be interesting to see if Southwestern ever adopts variations; I'm sure, for instance, being in boarding group A is a fungible benefit.


Well, I Got a Taste of Our Healthcare System Yesterday

I had a minor physical ailment for which I needed some antibiotics prescribed. Long story short, the outpatient physician thought the issue had more to do with a part of my health being recently neglected (I haven't had a PA in nearly 5 years, even though I've had insurance). For example, I have a thyroid condition which is never going away, but doctors won't prescribe without constant visits and blood tests. I need to take better care of myself and make the time to put up with the hassle of finding a new primary physician available through my insurance network.

I think the physician in question was really being quite melodramatic, suggesting that maybe they should call for an ambulance and the hospital might have to admit me for an indefinite number of days. I guess it was his way of trying to instill fear of the Lord into taking my personal health more serious. I understand his motivation, but Dude, you lose credibility in hyping the situation.

I don't think I've been in an emergency care section of a hospital (in fact, in any hospital period as an adult other than an outpatient procedure in 2009) Maybe as a kid; I once fell from my bunk bed, my nose getting a nasty cut from the sharp edge of a table my woodworking granduncle had built.  I felt basically the same; the infection, of course, was painful and needed treatment. One of the nurses pitched my half-full, overly expensive McDonald's Diet Coke. I also thought of emergency care for things like gunshot wounds, not for my issues. It took a long time to finally get a round-robin room, almost 3 hours; fellow patients treated each admission through the doors like a player being called like they were on the Price is Right.  I was somewhat annoyed the hospital had to take another 3-4 vials of blood (like the clinic had), and the nurse got called away between vials and ending up scrapping the first vial.

I will say I was very impressed by my doctor and nurse (although the nurse seemed to hold a grudge that I haven't been taking care of myself). I was led to believe I would be discharged around 11PM--nearly 6 hours after arriving at the hospital. It really ended up being like 2 AM. There were times I didn't see either the doctor or nurse for over an hour, which was driving me stir-crazy.

I still don't like the long absences; even years back, I  would have to rework my work schedule at my doctor's convenience and then sit for 20 minutes or more just for a 3-4 minute discussion that could have been done over the phone. It comes across as extremely Procrustean.

I'm sure readers who face socialized healthcare systems are thinking, "Cry me a river! This is nothing. You have no shortage of meds; conditions are hygienic, etc. You don't have to wait for weeks in pain." Exactly. In my defense, I didn't have any idea I would be spending most of the next 11 hours in a hospital.