Analytics

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Miscellany: 5/12/15

Quote of the Day
The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly.
Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Image of the Day

Via Blas Esquivel
The Senate Democrats Filibuster Fast-Track Trade Authority for Obama: Thumbs DOWN!

Trade is a key target of the Dems' key organized labor constituency, which demands economically illiterate protectionist policies. Not surprisingly, Obama would like to add a TPP trade act to his legacy.

American Idol Is Cancelled a Year From Now

I was waiting for an auto recall repair this morning, when I heard the Today Show announce next season would American Idol's last; it was inevitable given a steady decline of viewers the last few years. I have my own theories which I've expressed in the blog in the past: I missed the "trainwreck" auditions, I think the show misses Simon Cowell as a judge, the show has been in the last years including more contemporary music, which I find all but unlistenable, and the show has allowed contestants to indulge their musical preferences vs. take on less familiar genres. The talent has been, at best, uneven, with more recent winners barely touching the charts.  I'll have more to say over the coming year.

The final night of competition was tonight; I decided to support Clark Beckham. Let's see if I can keep my streak of picking winners going tomorrow...

The Failures of the Welfare State



Facebook Corner

(IPI). Moody’s attributed the downgrade to “expected growth in the city’s highly elevated unfunded pension liabilities.”
Do you know the way of San Jose?

(Reason). How important is the open exchange of goods to the spreading of prosperity? This important.
Global trade, unmanaged by agreements, is good. Global governance is bad.
As if the calculus of populist opinion will not be skewed by protectionist fearmongering! Of course, nations should not be micromanaging trade flows; they should simply get out of the way. But anything that increases the flow of goods and services across borders is a victory for consumer

Political Cartoon

Courtesy of Steve Kelley via Townhall
Musical Interlude: My Favorite Vocalists

Olivia Newton-John, "Make a Move on Me"