Analytics

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Why You Should Read Me

I  imagine if I was a skeptical reader I might say, "This guy has been an IT professor and practitioner... Who is he to speak on economics or politics? Where is his PhD in economics, 300 published aticles in peer-reviewed publications and/or Nobel Prize."  I'm not, and never have been, an political operative, an historian, or a pollster.

My mom's review was, "These are your opinions--who cares? It's boring. I do like your little music videos, though." Thanks, Mom!  (I am my mother's son...)

Here's my answer:
  • I'm an interdisciplinary researcher by nature. MIS itself is a fusion discipline, borrowing from diverse disciplines (technical, applied psychology, etc.)  and methodologies. I have published a number of peer-reviewed empirical research articles, and have served as a reviewer. I love research design and methods and  have used a number of different statistical  packages (e.g., I was one of the first MIS academics to report confirmatory factor analysis results.) I have published in  other disciplines (e.g., technical and professional communication and human factors/ergonomics). I have a strong background in math and philosophy (including political/social philosophy) and 2 graduate degrees in business (including courses in finance and economics and an accounting minor ). I am not  intimidated by researchers in other disciplines--I understand limitations say of economic  models and when researchers make conclusions beyond the data.
  • I'm an excellent, persuasive communicator, both written and verbal. It's not just that I've been a full-time, not adjunct,  professor for 5 years (and halftime teaching fellow for 3 more)--I've had to turn around projects without line authority and gained management support in personal and business meetings.
  • I have a definite point of view but am a straight shooter. I have criticized conservatives and libertarians. I have sharply criticized state immigration laws and various right-wing red meat talking points (e.g., the birther controversy)
  • I am a constructive critic, and I excel at problem solving  I am a realist, pragmatist and not an ideologue. For example, Massachusetts is not going to elect a libertarian to state-wide office, but it will elect a moderate Republican whom is a fiscal conservative. It is true that I've been sharply critical of progressive politicians, but I dislike the predictable hypocritical nonstop political spin, the state of denial over ineffective Keynesian policies and unsustainable senior benefits and chronic federal deficits
  • I think my miscellany format is distinctive and don't think I've seen a similar blog anywhere, I have a good sense of humor, I work hard on the readability, organization, and documentation of my commentaries,  I try to vary the topics and avoid being overly repetitive--and, yes, Mom, I embed good music videos