Analytics

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Miscellany: 10/28/12

Quote of the Day
We know what we are,
but know not what we may be.
William Shakespeare

Congratulations, World Series Champs SF Giants!

The Giants swept the Tigers in 4 games, for their second crown in 3 years, after an improbable comeback in the NLCS. I'm an AL fan, but the Giants' pitchers completely shut down the powerful  Tigers lineup.Triple crown Cabrera did get a wind-aided homer tonight--he took a called third strike to end the game, but It seemed the Tigers slumped badly all at the same, worst time--or maybe the Giants' pitching is that damn good.

Preparing for Hurricane Sandy

The calm before storm--you wouldn't know. I absolutely love cool, crisp autumn days with soft, cool breezes. I think "Autumn Leaves" (below) was a featured selection in my high school choir's first concert

I remember waiting for word of Dad's assignment after his isolated tour in Southeast Asia; I didn't care where (say, Michigan) so long as there was a change of season. Even though I'm a native Texan, I did not initially take well the news we were moving to South Texas. My fears were confirmed; it hit 95 on our first Christmas, our front yard had brown grass with maybe 2 inches of rain over 9 months  Perfect training ground for new pilots, of course.

 There are things you learn from past storms: I made sure I was parked away from trees, you eat stuff from your freezer, you charge up your devices (cellphone, iPod shuffle, etc.), you wash a load of clothes,  you double-check your rechargeable lantern is charged, etc.

I'll try to set up some scheduled posts over the next few days and overwrite boilerplate with commentaries as my Internet service remains available.





Bill O'Reilly, Romney, Obama & Benghazi

I haven't watched the Factor in months, but i do download  his daily talking points memo. O'Reilly was beside himself after the last debate critical of Romney's taking a ball on Schieffer's softball pitch to lead off. I would have handled it differently than Romney  (and note that the President had the same question and spun his way through it). I do think it was odd that Romney was asked first, a point O'Reilly never raised.

I an a noninterventionist, but by any objective standard, Obama was not forthcoming; the Administration botched things. I think if Obama had gone first, Romney was prepared to cross.

First, I think Romney was concerned about Obama counterattacking the Romney campaign's premature response to the  Egypt/Benghazi incidents (before we learned of the ambassador's murder); second, Romney didn't want to be accused of politically exploiting a tragedy; third, Obama would have been in a state of denial, denying anything Romney said;  the burden of proof was on Romney.  Finally, there's the question of "what would you have done?", especially if requested resources weren't sufficient to repel the attack.

I think one question I haven't heard addressed is: if the Benghazi consulate was considered vulnerable, why was the ambassador there? I'm not trying to blame the victim: it's just the date has high significance for these groups, and the ambassador would likely have been safer at the embassy.

One thing as a libertarian has me absolutely seething about is the idiot responsible for putting an ad on Pakistan television publicly distancing itself from that controversial film. I object to the film based on matters of civility, but did the US pay for ads in Vatican City when say the National Endowment for the Arts subsidized (not merely tolerated) Serrano's much more offensive "Piss Christ"? Leftist civil libertarians at the time were dismissive that "some" Christians might be offended  by the appearance of a Christ figure submerged in the "artist"'s own urine. (This is a typical hypocritical leftist pseudo-apology (I wonder if they would feel the same way if a conservative artist released "Defecate Obama" using stimulus money ).) The idea of Obama, Clinton and their Progressive-Censors-Are-More-Equal stance spending money they don't have so they can dubiously mitigate the effects of radical, trouble-making clerics  (as if Obama has any credibility by playing Whack-a-Mole with drone attacks and collateral damage and/or the clerics care about whether the government made or subsidized the film). It's not just this Administration threw our constitution under the bus, but they basically played into the hands of uncivil malcontents.

What would I have said in Romney's place? First, it was clear from the outset that the Egypt and Libya incidents were different and the ambassador's death was the result of  a military/terrorist attack, and the Obama Administration knowingly misled the American people through its minions (e.g., Susan Rice). It's one thing to redact sensitive information; it's another thing to be in a state of denial. Second, there seem to be management problems in the State Dept. Recall the nearly tragic circumstances of the underwear bomber, and now this disagreement between State and national intelligence. Another point is that the US meddling in the Libyan conflict during the Arab spring had consequences. Finally, protection of our diplomats in job #1, and I would make clear that a Romney Administration would be sensitive to requests for additional  security.

The Tea Party, Rape and Abortion

I seriously want to kick Indiana GOP Senate candidate Murdoch's ass.  I cannot understand why Tea Party favorites let themselves get trapped into talking about cases of abortion and rape. The percentage of rape-caused pregnancies is negligible, I got an email alert--probably the night of a debate by one of my mainstream media alerts quoting Murdoch about carrying a rapist's baby to term.

How Murdoch got trapped on this after the Akin kerfuffle blows my mind. I do expect Akin and Murdoch to eventually win their races, but some facts of life: first, the Tea Party has no position on abortion. Second, there is no chance of passing a pro-life amendment given the number of pro-abortion choice Dem senators in the next Congress. Third, if there is a consensus view, it  is that abortion comes under the police function of states

I'm pro-life. I understand where Akin and Murdoch are coming from, but given the status quo I see one of 2 possible viable alternatives: (1) restoring state regulation including extenuating circumstance exceptions (like mother's life or rape) and/or (2) banning abortion, short of risk to the mother's life,  after signs of the baby's functional  organ activity  (e.g., a baby's heartbeat).  I also think you could restrict the type of abortion to facilitate the baby's chances to survive a procedure (e.g., born alive versus D&C).

But "it''s the economy, stupid". Arguing state regulation should be the default Tea Party response.

Musical Interlude: My Favorite Groups

The Carpenters, "Ticket to Ride". This Beatles' cover off their first A&M LP didn't quite hit Top 40; their next single, "Close to You", would be their first #1 (3 on the hot 100, over a dozen on adult contemporary) and they never looked back. Richard brilliantly retools the arrangement here in the now familiar Carpenters' sound), slow and poignant (it takes testicular fortitude to alter a classic Beatles hit but here  it works: the student exceeds the master). This performance showcases Karen's rich lower register--just flawless, seemingly effortless technique: she has a way of projecting in an intimate manner--like she is singing just for you, almost like the female version of Sinatra for the Baby Boomers.