Analytics

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Miscellany: 9/18/12

Quote of the Day
I think that how one lives 
is more important than how long one lives. 
So I don't feel too bad.
Lim Yoon-taek (32 Year old South Korean cancer victim)
"
Economics Quote of the Day

Many people want the government to protect the consumer. A much more urgent problem is to protect the consumer from the government.-Milton Friedman  (HT Ninos Malek)

e.g., business barriers to entry (e.g.licensing), quotas, pricing restrictions, tariffs, subsidies, merger restrictions, currency debasement, etc.

True Colors


'At an October 19, 1998 conference at Loyola University, Barack Obama spoke against "propaganda" that said government doesn't work and the need to "pool resources and hence facilitate some redistribution because I actually believe in redistribution."'
There is no sugar-coating of redistribution, or legalized plunder. (Any thief, including the common politician, rationalizes his crime.) Obama, already at this point a career politician conveniently and hypocritically dismisses substantive criticism of self-serving  authoritarian progressive policies as "propaganda". The great Greek philosopher Aristotle noted "What is common to many is least taken care of, for all men have greater regard for what is their own than for what they possess in common with others."



Are We Already in the Obama Recession? I Think SO

The Economic Cycle Research Institute calls it the 2012 recession,but you wouldn't know it by stock highs, a rebounding housing sector, or domestic energy expansion in North Dakota, Texas and elsewhere as Mark Perry of Carpe Diem will remind you.

Law-Breaking, Unethical Professor Abuses Her Authority:
Pushing Students to Vote for Corrupt Dems/Obama

A Florida community college professor has been suspended for trying to get class members to sign a pledge to vote straight Dem in the upcoming election.

It may sound improbable but I honestly don't recall a single political conversation while I was in academia; I've mentioned a pervasive progressivism in academia: how did I know? There were anecdotal incidents;for example, while I served on the UWM MBA admissions committee (I mentioned this incident in an earlier post) admission was routine if you had high enough GMAT and/or upper-division GPA; we handled oddball cases; for example, I remember this one Canadian PhD whom got an abnormally low GMAT (obviously unhappy with the formality of taking the GMAT and passive-aggressively sabotaging his application). The business school dean heavily pressured us to grant admission to a minority candidate by gaps on both criteria that we would have routinely rejected. The committee chair, the Dean's stooge, told us she had already been given a scholarship and it would embarrass the Dean if we rejected the applicant. The hypocritical chair and two silent junior female profs voted for: 3-3. The stooge pointed out this was my last committee meeting, and the Dean would name a crony to replace me so resistance was futile. I then changed my vote to present and found myself personally attacked by everyone else--But it was my way of red flagging a corrupt situation without giving the morally corrupt dean the clean majority vote he wanted.

There was another case I was pursuing an opening at a private Oklahoma university and I was told I wouldn't be shortlisted because they were looking for a female for the department. There are other examples as well, but let's say I never felt free as an nontenured faculty member expressing my conservative perspective.

Political Humor

I'm watching the news, and I see these protesters in countries like Egypt, Afghanistan, Tunisia. They're all burning American flags. Where are they getting all these flags? If you hate us so much, how do you have a large supply of flags on hand? - Jay Leno

[It's China's post-Olympic BOGO free clearance sale.]

Arnold Schwarzenegger has written a new book about his affair with his Hispanic housekeeper, and the book is actually called "Total Recall." In response, she's written a book about their affair called "Alien vs. Predator."- Jay Leno

[It's more like "Gray Davis' Recall: The Sequel", and "Son of Aliens".]

Musical Interlude: My Favorite Groups

Commodores, "Three Times a Lady"