Analytics

Friday, September 21, 2012

MIscellany: 09/21/12

Quote of the Day  
I was gratified to be able to answer promptly. 
I said I don't know.
Mark Twain

Obama Narcissism Behavior Watch

Out of concern for creative/Obama campaign rights; I won't reproduce the Obama swirl flag below but here's a current link.  I've seen it everywhere; I think there's a car magnet version for a smaller donation. If you still don't know the symbol in essence they have taken the familiar blur-and-white Obama swirl and have overlaid it over the state region of the flag (a not very creative design (my political humor ad libs are at least 100 times more creative)), and fewer stripes, instead of the original 13 colonies/States. This is, of course, wildly offensive to those of us whom cherish the concept of federalism missing in Obama's obsession with the provably false model of central planning, never mind arbitrary changes to a cherished traditional symbol. IDB has a relevant current editorial  "Obama's Creepy Cult of Personality",

Let me cite a disturbing extract of a chilling pledge from the Obama-swirl shirt minions to the Pied Piper of Failed Liberalism:
The "For All" effort encourages celebrities, politicians and regular folk to submit photos of themselves with their hands — on which messages are scrawled — held over their heart, pledging to vote for Obama so he can provide (fill in the blank) "For All!"
Equal pay ... For All!
Women's rights ... For All!
Food ... For All!
A Future ... For All!
In theory, this propaganda sounds innocuous enough unless you realize it's based on abused statistics and bad economics, even more morally hazardous policies and restrictions on basic economic liberty, and  government meddling in the economy.

Romney Gets It Right on the Tax Return Controversy

I don't know if the Romney campaign reads my blog but several weeks back, I encouraged Romney to release enough tax-related data  about his returns to silence the basic thrust of uber-partisan hacks like Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid; the elite CPA firm Price Waterhouse Coopers attested to Romney's paying over a 13% rate from 1990 through 2009 and an overall greater than 20%, and Romney's second promised return  2011 showed he gave almost a third of his mostly investment income to charity and only deducted about half of that in his itemized deductions, meaning he paid more taxes than required. (I'll point out he has indicated looking at deductions versus tax bracket changes).(An aside: I worked with the management consulting affiliate of Coopers and Lybrand ; I was part of the Oracle practice in the Chicago area dissolved before the PW merger. we could not own shares in any Cooper's accounting  client even though we had no contact on the audit side of the business.  CPA's have a very rigorous code of conduct, not only fact but appearance of independence. I took the traditional audit course as part of my PhD minor.)

Musical Interlude: my Favorite Groups

The Commodores, "Lady, You Bring Me Up"