Analytics

Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Post #3894 M: Tyson Timbs v Indiana; Does Playing Computer Games Hurt Surgical Skill Development?

Quote of the Day

Adversity has the effect of eliciting talents 
which, in prosperous circumstances, would have lain dormant.
Horace

Image of the Day

via Facebook

Tyson Timbs v Indiana




DEAD WRONG: Games and High Tech Gadgets Are a Distraction From Mastering Surgical Skills




Could You Be Friends With a Democrat?

Probably. I used to be one. I know some of my nieces and nephews are/have been leftist, e.g., supported Obama; to be honest, I've almost never discussed politics with my relatives, although I think they know their crazy old uncle has a political blog. I think there's natural skeptical reaction to elders from young people. It takes unusual intelligence to be able to scrutinize one's own assumptions; for example, I did not come to conservatism through Reagan or to libertarianism through Ron Paul. I often have a nuanced perspective; for example, I love Coolidge generally, but I am revolted by his nativist perspective on immigration. I also have some differences with Ron Paul, but if you've noticed I've embedded a number of his video clips over the past 2-3 weeks. I'm far more tolerant than most people I know; in fact, I understand leftist perspectives better than most of their proponents.

It reminds me of when I spent several weeks in Brazil in 1995. I played the dumb monolingual American, but the fact is I knew more Portuguese than I let on. Some of the merchants there would haggle higher prices for "rich" Americans vs. their fellow natives. It pissed me off.

The point is that I have never really met other people who think like I do. I deal with people with differing opinions all the time. I read opinions that I disagree with. Yes, I can get testy with certain people, e.g., who lack intellectual integrity. It's not personal, but the other side makes it so.

One of my best friends, BB, a former fellow doctoral student and office mate at UH, is a fairly conservative Baptist who probably didn't care for my Catholic beliefs, but he never tried impose his beliefs. I remember going to an ISIS conference cocktail party and seeking him there. He never had a drink, but he was there with all these people around him drinking. He never said a single judgmental thing. He is one of the most tolerant people I've met in my life; I've never seen him let his emotions get the better of him. I've learned a lot from Bruce, and being his friend has made me a better person.



Choose Life










Political Cartoon



Musical Interlude: Childhood Christmas

Gene Autry, "Here Comes Santa Claus"