Analytics

Sunday, August 2, 2020

Post #4731 M: The Evil of Planned Parenthood; Tom Woods on Free Market Fallacies and Facts

Quote of the Day

One that desires to excel should endeavor in those things 
that are in themselves most excellent.
Epictetus  

The Evil of Planned Parenthood

Part of the motive for this video here is for some reason Youtube has started pushing Planned Parenthood ads to my videos; I have been pro-life/anti-abortion my whole life. Although I'm Catholic by birth, as I've mentioned in other posts (including Twitter), I didn't even know the Church's historical, consistent opposition to abortion at the time I first asked my Mom what the term meant. Mom gave me a clinical, nonjudgmental response, and I was horrified at the very thought a woman would choose to end her preborn child's life. "But, Mom, that's MURDER. What does the Church say? The Church can't possibly support this..."

Even when I was an OLL undergraduate, I wouldn't say, even in a Catholic college, my pro-life view was popular; I wouldn't say the pro-abort/choice view was strident. It was more like a Latino dorm resident seemingly confused that I didn't support "a woman's right to control her body", which he regarded as a self-evident truth. He quickly dropped the subject, not wanting to debate the issue. I once ordered pro-life wearable pins, and I remember the woman who was selling them writing a personal note how relieved she was to hear from another young person who is pro-life in a time of feminist orthodoxy.

I don't post that often on the topic of abortion; I try to persuade rather than to lecture others on the topic. I've had a nephew-in-law who is a hard-core abortion abolitionist who has questioned and mocked my commitment to the pro-life cause. In life this is a difficult question to address without alienating others who are passionate about their contrary position. Two of my closest friends, a Jew and a Hindu, are pro-aborts; in fact, the former's girlfriend in his youth aborted their child.

This video came from one of my more traditional Catholic feeds (I have a coincidental affection for the traditional Latin mass, etc., like other prominent libertarian Catholics like Rockwell, Napolitano and Woods) The video liner notes have a typo; the speaker is a former pro-abort. In part, her talk debunks the widely praised PP founder Margaret Sanger who held some fairly politically incorrect views on blacks, Jews and others. PP is the US' largest abortion provider and has disingenuously posed as a more general women's healthcare provider, competing with real healthcare providers for tax dollar funding. (Money, of course, is fungible.) I don't intend to make polemics on this issue a primary focus of the blog; not many people know, for example, Ron Paul is a pro-life libertarian (he used to deliver babies for a living); he's probably better known for his rants against the Fed and neo-con foreign policy. But he did not avoid the issue, and only about a third of us libertarians are pro-life. But part of the motive of this post is that in the post-Floyd era, even one chapter of PP is removing Sanger's name from a NY facility.

 

Tom Woods on Free Market Fallacies and Facts 

 I usually prefer to embed fresh videos in my daily blog, but often on weekends there isn't a lot of new content, at least for my sources. So I'll sometimes go to older content, still topical, like the recent Dem primary anti-capitalist standpoint.
 


DiLorenzo on Lincoln

 

Choose Life

Political Cartoon

Courtesy of Tom Stiglich via Townhall

Musical Interlude: #1 Hits 1963

Hey, Paula/Paul and Paula