Analytics

Sunday, April 19, 2020

Post #4568 Social Media Digest

Facebook

[I think FEE reprised an old post by Davies on the Filburn SCOTUS decision which affirmed the right of the feds to sanction farmer Filburn over wheat he raised for his/livestock's consumption in excess of assigned quotas as part of "interstate commerce". I agree that decision was bad, but argue a prior decision during the FDR Administration was even more compelling.]

Ronald A Guillemette
Actually, it was the Carolene Products decision that introduced the infamous Footnote 4. In essence except for certain exceptions (e.g, discrimination), legislatures were given wide discretion over individual rights (especially property), basically enabling Big Government.
https://www.hillsdale.edu/educational-outreach/free-market-forum/2008-archive/property-rights-in-american-history/

[There was a post on how the Democrats have suddenly discovered the Tenth Amendment for their blue state governors in the Age of Trump.]

Ronald A Guillemette
They rediscover the Tenth Amendment when there isn't a Dem in the White House violating the Constitution. [This is an implicit reference to ObamaCare.]

[FEE published an attack on WHO, after Trump suspended contributions and compared it to the ILO withdrawal which eventually happened early in the Carter Administration. This was misleading: Congress stripped funding in 1975 (Ford Administration) over the PLO's invitation to the ILO, and Kissinger gave the necessary 2-years notice. I later expanded on my comment here in this one-off post. Incidentally I posted a complaint on FEE's website with a link to my post: no response to date]

Ronald A Guillemette
FEE needs to improve fact checks on its posts, second bad post in a week (vaccination). The article implies that the Carter Administration initiated ILO withdrawal and misstates the reasons for withdrawal. Nope. From Wikipedia:

"On 12 June 1975, the ILO voted to grant the Palestinian Liberation Organization observer status at its meetings. Representatives of the United States and Israel walked out of the meeting. The U.S. House of Representatives subsequently decided to withhold funds. The United States gave notice of full withdrawal on 6 November 1975, stating that the organization had become politicized. The United States also suggested that representation from communist countries was not truly "tripartite"—including government, workers, and employers—because of the structure of these economies. The withdrawal became effective on 1 November 1977."

[There was a critical post on the #COVIDiots/COVIDIDIOTS aimed at people resisting Draconian public policy during the COVID-19 crisis by the COVID-19 alarmists/fascists.]

Ronald A Guillemette
One progressive respondent to me on Twitter making a similar point:
@raguillem So only 3,936,000 die. A lot of people might get really mad at a #COVIDIDIOTS such as yourself. pic.twitter.com/HTqXYey5BY













Twitter

My Twitter followers are now in the upper 70's, near an all-time high, although sometimes new followers can be impulsive, e.g., one joined this morning after liking a tweet I wrote on a hashtag on fairy tales, and will often drop after I write a contrarian political tweet. Just a reminder: I don't republish most of my hashtag game tweets or entertainment tweets, although sometimes there is a blurring of categories, e.g., over Florida allowing WWE to continue filming in their Orlando performance center without an audience. I also have what I think is a personal record of 7 1000+ impression tweets in my rolling 28-day history

I also recently realized that in the past I've published only a portion of a nested series of Tweets; it's odd, because if I write a series, the series will appear connected in my history, but you can't embed the series but only the individual tweet and its immediate parent. There are ways of publishing a collection of tweets, like I did in my earlier rant on the Dr. Oz kerfuffle. But for purposes below I'm simply breaking them up into separate pairs. (And for some reason, e.g., in my series of 5 Dr. Oz tweets, 2 of the tweets are not showing in my history, probably a Twitter bug, but I still see them in TweetDeck, so interested readers can find them at the bottom of my rant link above.)