Analytics

Sunday, April 5, 2020

Post #4545 M: Woods on What's Wrong With American Healthcare; Conventional Wisdom and COVID-19 Crisis Management; Reason on How Government Fucked Up the COVID-19 Response

Quote of the Day

Make the best use of what is in your power, 
and take the rest as it happens.
Epictetus  

Wrestlemania Night 2 Results

In earlier journal segments, I had predicted outcomes with respect to 2 matches:

  • Drew McIntyre defeated WWE Champion Lesnar
  • Bray Wyatt/The Fiend beat John Cena.
In addition, I expected Charlotte Flair to capture the  NXT women's title and Edge to win over old tag team partner Randy Orton, although I may not have discussed these matches. I think Charlotte winning the women's battle royal, enabling her choice of major promotion titles and then quixotically settling for the third-ranked NXT promotion belt--and losing it would have irreparably damaged her credibility. Returning Hall-of-Famer babyface Edge had to defeat Orton, after Orton's swerve attack, followed by applying his finisher to Edge's wife, Beth Phoenix.

I knew Drew McIntyre would win, especially when I got a WWE email featuring McIntyre saying that this wasn't HIS Wrestlemania, but OUR Wrestlemania--classic babyface. I didn't see the match, but by one written summary, McIntyre kicked out of Lesnar's trademark finisher, the F5, 3 times, and then applied his finisher (the Claymore kick) multiple times (which had exited Lesnar from the earlier Royal Rumble match). Why Lesnar didn't apply his MMA style submission finishers--the Kimura or the Brock Lock--isn't clear. I'm not happy with McIntyre as the champion (I'm not a fan of kick finishers), but to honest, Lesnar had already run through credible challengers, except for maybe Owens or A. Black, so a new champion opens up some fresh feuds. 

I don't know how AJ Styles recovers credibility from being literally buried by Undertaker's resurrected motorcycle-riding American Badass persona (my least favorite). It turns out I'm not the only one (I just saw a wrestling Youtube commentary) bashing the decision to waste Baszler's monster build in last night's failed challenge to Becky Lynch.

I can only speculate that WWE was playing the send-the-fans-home-happy with the McIntyre, Lynch, and Undertaker wins; they all sucked from a storyline perspective.

Woods on What's Wrong With American Healthcare



Conventional Wisdom and COVID-19 Crisis Management



Reason on How Government Fucked Up the COVID-19 Response



Choose Life


Not to complain, but it was unusual to hear someone peeing for the pregnancy test...





Political Cartoon

Courtesy of Michael Ramirez via Townhall


Musical Interlude: My Favorite Vocalists

Harry Nilsson, "Without You". His signature #1 hit.