Analytics

Friday, February 15, 2019

Post #3989 M: About to Start the Countdown to #4000; My Favorite President? Probably Grover Cleveland

Quote of the Day

The future is uncertain... 
but this uncertainty is at 
the very heart of human creativity.
Ilya Prigogine  

My Greatest Hits: February 2019

It has been a bit of a slow start to February, with my top 5 viewed posts over the past month all from January. Like I've repeatedly said, I don't write for the money (there is none) or the numbers--I remember teaching one class with only 2 students at the end of the semester (long story; it was a data structures course at UTEP, and there was a competing popular instructor (a non-PhD, not a professor) who didn't require programming--which is like teaching a cooking class without using real food). I was a first-semester professor. I later asked my senior area colleague why he didn't tip me off what was going on. He shrugged his shoulders and said (paraphrasing), "I taught the course the way it should be taught, like you're doing. I wasn't very popular, either.")

I suspect that Google has intervened adversely over the past year (I'm not sure of the business case for not promoting content on their platform). It does seem like the readership numbers are bottoming out; even my Twitter followers seemed to have stabilized after a steep unilateral 20% drop in a short period of time, although it may simply be a dead cat bounce. I still have a favorite post (on conservatism vs. nationalism) over the past few weeks which I decided to promote on Twitter (I do link to my blog in my profile) (not paid promotion, I mean I linked to the post in a tweet). The readership has improved for the post but it's not clear the tweet was effective--I don't see any clicks for the link. I have a number of pro-liberty followers, so I'm somewhat discouraged I didn't get a better boost; I honestly like the quality of the original piece.

But then I've noticed on Twitter when I tweet on immigration (I'm strongly pro-immigration), my impressions (reader counts) seem to dip (although I've probably attracted a handful of followers because of my relevant opinions).

Will Witt Does His Version of Jaywalking on the Presidents

This coming holiday Monday has rapidly become my least favorite on the calendar, probably because in my libertarian phase I've developed a natural repulsion to authoritarian figures. I've developed a deep dislike of Lincoln over the Civil War, and even among Presidents I generally like (like Calvin Coolidge and Ronald Reagan), I have serious disagreements (e.g., immigration and spending, respectively). Probably my favorite overall? Grover Cleveland (e.g., his sound money advocacy, free trade, anti-imperial, unrivaled personal integrity).



Prager on Cherokee Lizzie and Pseudo-Racism



Busting Liberal Myths: Consumerism



Choose Life









Political Cartoon



Musical Interlude: Simon & Garfunkel

"Wake Up, Little Suzie". Their last charting hit was a rare remake, of the Everly Brothers classic. Next, we'll cover Simon's solo career.