Analytics

Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Post #3552 M

Quote of the Day

The human mind treats a new idea 
the same way the body treats a strange protein; 
it rejects it.
PB Medawar  

Tweet of the Day


Rand Paul vs. the Federal Bureaucracy Which Insists on Reinventing the Wheel



An Abomination: Policing For Profit




As We Approach Presidents Day: The Real Abe Lincoln




Facebook Corner

Usually I do not post political rants on Facebook. My posts there are basically links or shared posts from other groups. That isn't to say I don't post political comments on my stream (hence this ongoing blog segment). But almost all my "friends" are relatives and one of my college friends, and I really don't know the opinions of most of them. I do know my Mom supported Trump but it was more of an anti-Clinton vote. She is not the relative I'm describing here. This relative is a passionate Trumpkin and it seems that the person shares multiple Fox News posts daily and frequently posts of affection for the POTUS.

The context here is that the relative recently posted, on multiple occasions, favorable comments on the claim that "incorruptible" Trump doesn't cash and/or gives away his personal 400K annual paycheck. I really haven't focused much on Trump's expensive personal trips on the taxpayer dime. This relative wasn't happy with my post below and suggests in the unlikely event I was elected President, I wouldn't turn down a $400K salary.  Let's see: I would be getting free room and board, a generous expense account, a six-figure pension for life; legislators often have to maintain two residences, etc. I have mentioned in several past posts how uncomfortable I am spending other people's money.

This is just a more recent example; about 18 months back, I had to go to a training in northwest Florida, very close to the Gulf Coast. I had to make my reservations through a typical corporate travel vendor engaging in cost controls. I had options of hotels with a view of the beach, roughly at the $125+/night rate. I took a hotel a few miles north, with a daily rate well under $100/night.  I remember none of my fellow trainees were staying there and the topic came up in a conversation. My peer said incredulously, "Why do you care? It's not even your own money." But for me, I'm at a hotel to sleep, my selected hotel had Internet access,  and a beach is a beach. I don't see why a beach view is worth, say, $40 a night. If I wanted to go to the beach, it was just a short drive away. I charged meal expenses well below meal caps. I remember one night I simply went to KFC across the street for dinner (I think it was maybe a $6 meal.) I told my relative is that I would probably take a huge cut as the first step in an attempt to cut compensation across the government.

I have a relative who thinks billionaire Trump is peachy keen because he allegedly gives away his $400K salary. Never mind his travel expenses cost the taxpayer more every month than his ANNUAL salary--and which were even bigger than Obama's. (When you spend more than the $10T man Barry, that's saying something).

Just a reminder Trump isn't all that unique when it comes to not taking a salary (all of them, especially Trump, do it for power, not money). Billionaire Bloomberg, the NYC former mayor, only took $1 of his $225K annual salary. Millionaire Mitt Romney took no salary as governor of Massachusetts. Only Trump constantly promotes his "charity". Christians might remember the parable of the proud Pharisee.

Political Cartoon


Courtesy of Robert Ariail via Facebook


Musical Interlude: My Favorite Vocalists


Frank Sinatra, "All the Way"