Analytics

Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Post #3424 M

Quote of the Day

No matter who says what, you should accept it with a smile and do your own work.

Mother Teresa  

Congratulations to the World Series Champion Houston Astros!

I lived and worked in Houston from 1979 to 1986. I can still remember being in Scouts during my high school years; my middle brother and I had worked hard during Scouts in south Texas on a group fundraiser (I think selling Amway products). One of the trip options was to visit to the Astrodome to see our first in-person major league baseball game.We voted for it, and our side won, but the Scoutmaster didn't approve and basically manipulated the vote in favor of a camping trip. Nothing against camping; we did it all the time. But I remember thinking what he did was so corrupt, I eventually left Scouts over it.)

So it took a while before I got to see my first in-person MLB game. My budget was fairly tight, so I didn't go that frequently. The same brother, now a chemical engineer working at a Beaumont refinery, came to visit me so we could attend a home game where Nolan Ryan seemed likely to reach 3000 strikeouts. (I think he was maybe 7 KO's short, but at the game he got knocked out early after maybe picking up 3.) I went to maybe a handful of other games; I mentioned in an earlier post going to one of them and coming back to literally 17 phone messages from my then girlfriend. She was upset I didn't ask her out to the game (because she hated baseball).

Familiar readers may remember that I've been a Twins' fan, but Houston was my National League team. In fact, they went to the World Series (I think in 2005) but got swept by the Chisox. They later migrated to the American League.

I haven't been to Houston that much since earning my PhD; I did some training there in 2008 for a week. My baby brother's first two kids live in the area with their families, luckily not in one of the recently flooded areas, although I think my nephew's house had roof damage.

But I loved Houston where I earned my MBA and PhD. Well, maybe not so much traffic jams on Westheimer and the Southwest Freeway. I'm happy with the Astros winning.

Tweet of the Day

















DEAD WRONG: Capitalism Implies Monopolies




The Trump Tax "Reform"




Facebook Corner


(Catholic Libertarians). Police remove a small group of Catholics from the Catholic Cathedral of Brussels who were praying the rosary aloud for disrupting an "interfaith service" that was celebrating the Protestant Reformation.
So the State comes to arrest Catholics praying in a Catholic Church. What the hell has become of the Church under Francis?

(Libertarianism.org) If women cannot control their own bodies, how can they be truly liberated? Does uncontrolled reproduction produce poverty as well as unwanted children? If abortion is prohibited, will desperate women be driven to obtain unsafe abortions that endanger their lives?
How sad that an alleged libertarian source inconsistently defends the unalienable right to live, treats as "acceptable" the genocide of nearly 60 million preborn babies by women and doctors. The woman always has the right to prevent future pregnancy by surgery and/or not engage in sex. She bears responsibilities for her own sexual behavior, and her baby's DNA is different. I have little empathy for a woman who hurts herself trying to kill her own child.

(Catholic Libertarianism). The court stated that the cross’ “presence in a public location is contrary to the law.”
State censorship against religious speech in public places is a crime against liberty. To divorce St. John Paul from his beloved love for the Cross is State-sponsored vandalism and a denial of reality.

Political Cartoon

Courtesy of Bob Gorrell via Townhall

Musical Interlude: My Favorite Vocalists


Dolly Parton, "Heartbreak Express"