Analytics

Thursday, April 2, 2015

Miscellany: 4/02/15

Quote of the Day
Small is the number of people who see with their eyes and think with their minds.
Albert Einstein

Image of the Day
via the Independent Institute

The Injustice of Minimum Sentences: Why Liberty?




City of San Jose Engages in Extortion on Home Builders to Promote Unconstitutional Redistribution Plan



Entertainment Potpourri

Wow, American Idol is really scraping the bottom of the barrel of gimmicks. Don't get me wrong; I love inaugural winner Kelly Clarkson, and I recently promoted her Heartbeat Song, but let's be clear: she's a better singer than songwriter, and this week having the candidates choose songs from her limited catalog seems at best tortuous, especially for guys. Despite all the usual hype that these candidates are the best ever, I don't share that opinion. No one is really standing out to me as an obvious choice; I'm slightly favoring Tyana Jones. I think the most interesting vocalist is Joey Cook, who has by far the most interesting jazzy reinventions of songs, perhaps in the history of the show--but I just don't see a jazz singer as the American pop idol, and she has perhaps the weakest pipes of the remaining contestants.  It seems every week they're pulling some ridiculous gimmick--including the introduction of a fan save from the bottom two. I'm really motivated to save one of the 2 weakest candidates on the show... A few weeks earlier, the judges frivolously blew their one save of the season on an unworthy male vocalist. The show is rapidly losing whatever interest I once had. It used to be the winner of American Idol had an all but guaranteed #1 single; in more recent years, they are lucky to crack Top 40.  I'll try to muddle through the rest of the season, but I can now see there being a finale I won't watch....

Political Cartoon

Courtesy of the original artist via Protect Internet Freedom
Courtesy of Lisa Benson via Townhall
Musical Interlude: My Favorite Groups

John Denver, "Annie's Song". One of my all-time favorites; I love the arrangement. My inner record producer wants to make it a duet with a prominent female vocalist and slightly tweak the arrangement in an Irish fashion.