Analytics

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Miscellany: 2/18/14

Quote of the Day 
Nothing in life is to be feared. 
It is only to be understood.
Marie Curie

Pro-Liberty Thought of the Day


'Cherokee Lizzie' Wins Her First Award....

After the publication of a January 27, 2014 United States Postal Service (USPS) Office of Inspector General Report report, Sen. Warren suggested that the USPS should be permitted to expand its now limited activities deeply into banking services.
Oh, yeah! Let's make an enterprise that can't even balance its books a bank... Like a bailout waiting to happen....  Time for troll stomping! See FB Corner below.

Tom Woods' 100th Podcast Show: Guest Judge Napolitano

I suspect that it's Woods' family surrounding the good judge if you see a still photo over the video; for readers whom don't know, Mrs. Woods is expecting daughter #5. (She also has a food blog; Tom had her on over the holidays explaining her secrets to moist roasted turkey. I believe Tom follows a variation of the Paleo diet.)

There is a reason I'm promoting this video. I don't think Woods has commented on any of my own postings on his account. Woods often invites podcast fans to pose prospective questions to guests; I submitted a question that I considered unique, focusing on their traditional (vs modern) Catholicism and contention with their libertarian principles. I think Woods actually used a variation of my question as one of the closing questions in the interview. I'm a little disappointed in the judge's response because I found it somewhat evasive and nuanced. In fact, the pope's recent exhortation praised politics as a noble profession, explicitly rejected free markets in populist terms. I wished the judge, as I do, would talk about the moral corruption under Statism and challenge the pope's deficient understanding of business and economics.



Facebook Corner


All laws for all people at all times, no exemptions for anyone not now not ever !
Restore liberty! Evict government from healthcare!

(CAGW). See above.
(Agreeing with prior troll).  I agree, it's not this simplistic. She's a genius when it comes to common sense solutions, so I think this page jumped on what perked their ears and ran with it.
What "progressive" troll idiocy! There's only one way to cure this anachronism--PRIVATIZE IT!
Elizabeth Warren is an American treasure.
 'Cherokee Lizzie' is after everybody else's treasure...


Or Barry Obama with a blank piece of paper...

A Piece of Revisionist Pop Music

Harry Truman was hardly the type of President this blog likes. He wanted to build on FDR's domestic interventionist policies (the "Fair Deal"), expanding social welfare and entitlements and he was a globalist/military interventionist. Granted, the nation was in a funk after the Nixon Presidency imploded, but how does one compare a third-rate political burglary to dumping nuclear bombs on civilians? If you're going to choose a President of integrity and principles, consider Grover Cleveland...



Political Humor

Kimmel's version of jaywalking. Note: FDR died early in his fourth term, before the end of WWII, succeeded by his little-known VP, Harry Truman.



Political Cartoon
Courtesy of Jerry Holbert and Townhall
Musical Interlude: My iPod Shuffle Series

Bobby Darin, "If I Were a Carpenter". I always thought if I would ever get married, I would sing this favorite to my bride. The immortal Johnny Cash and his beloved June Carter did a brilliant duet cover.