Analytics

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Miscellany: 2/06/14

Quote of the Day

Men always talk about the most important things to perfect strangers.
G.K. Chesterton

Image of the Day: The Broke Congress Spending Fallacy

Via Speak Liberty Now
Hall of Shame


School Choice: Not Just for Rich Kids

Via Cato Institute:
"The number of students participating in school choice programs has reached a record high of more than 301,000 students nationwide, up from about 260,000 in 2012-13. More than half of those students are participating in scholarship tax credit programs."


Protectionism in California is Unconstitutional:
A Sad Reflection on the Abysmal Farm Bill

The economically illiterate Humane Society pressed their California comrades to pass a 2008 "chicken-friendly" proposition 2, putting Draconian standards on egg producers, sharply increasing business costs by increasing infrastructure and operational costs affording hens more space, among other standards. Congressman Steve King had proposed an amendment which sought to validate the fact the Constitution provides for a free market among the states (thumbs UP!). Without California trying to ban import/sale of eggs produced without the Proposition 2 standards, undoubtedly cheaper, which would grab market share, no doubt some California egg farmers would be driven out of business. The Missouri attorney general has filed a well-argued lawsuit against California's anti-competitive restrictions; unfortunately, King's amendment (which was broader than just eggs) didn't make it into the massive farm bill.

Political Humor

Technically,  Julie Borowski is making very serious, spot on points; what's humorous is her delivery, like when she plays an unemployed teen worker. I have similar moments; for example, when I read books to little kids, I'll change my voice which they often find fascinating. I'm not an impressionist like Rich Little or Dana Carvey (but even an odd impression can be effective). I also mix in some deadpan humor (like Bob Newhart); timing and delivery are everything. When I lecture, I like to mix in an occasional bit of humor or an ad lib; in part, it's a way of checking if my audience is listening and transitioning my way through the material. (Unfortunately, responses to my humor can be delayed like "Did he really say that?", so I can be in mid-sentence into the next segment when some chuckles break out and other class members are confused.)



Political Cartoon

Courtesy of Glenn McCoy and Townhall
Musical Interlude: My iPod Shuffle Series

Laura Branigan, "Solitaire"