Analytics

Monday, May 30, 2022

Post #5733 Commentary: "Gabe Kapler and the Latest Sports Protest Kerfuffle"

 I have an ambivalent position about sports protests. Generally, I oppose entertainers using their platform to promote their political views; it's a nuanced view. It's not about the celebrity's right to hold independent opinions and express them, say in news interviews. But if I pay money to be entertained, I'm not expecting to listen to divisive political content of any kind--progressive, conservative or even libertarian.

In the case of the Kaepernick controversy, there was an alternative subtlety. The NFL players had a code of conduct that included expectations of player conduct during pre-game activities, including the National Anthem. I consider that to be a voluntary contract. The player protests (against racial injustice)  created problems for, among other things, certain NFL sponsors, like the Armed Forces, who use it to attract recruits. Now generally, it is wise for employers to make reasonable accommodations, e.g., by allowing protesting players to remain in the locker room during the National Anthem.

I was raised in a fairly conservative Catholic home, a military brat from birth. Oh, we really didn't talk politics at the dinner table; I know my folks voted, but they never disclosed who they voted for. My Mom was the only daughter of a fairly uncommon registered Republican small businessman (small grocery store) in Massachusetts  and sister to an older brother who was a Catholic priest--and virulently anti-Communist.  My Dad's 3 big brothers served in the WWI and Korea conflicts. and my Dad himself had isolated tours during the two Asian conflicts. The 4 Guillemette brothers were proud of their American service, My parents and maternal uncle, third generation Franco-Americans and fluently bilingual like their parents, were proudly unhyphenated Americans;; my uncle who loved being a pastor had one overriding preference in his career as a diocesan priest--not to be assigned to one of the dying French parishes remaining in the Fall River diocese.

I grew up in an integrated military with neighbors and schoolmates of differing races or ethnicities (including black, Latino, and Asian-American). Most of us took pride in American accomplishments, like the moon landing. I felt pride at the sight of an American flag, saying the Pledge of Allegiance or singing along with the Star Spangled Banner. I cheered on American athletes at the Olympic games. I probably joined in the inevitable "USA!"chants at special events.

So when did it stop or at least moderate for me? I'm not sure exactly. A lot of it involved manipulative politics. I remember during the 2004 campaign John Kerry, once a prominent protesting Vietnam veteran against the war who had returned his service medals, now fully embracing his past service and his photo opps with so many American flags behind him it was like he was campaigning for Patriot of the Year. It's not just one party; George W.Bush, who had campaigned against Clinton nation building, ill-advisedly started 2 wars against Afghanistan and Iraq . It took a Woodward book on the Iraq war/occupation stay-the-course stalemate to make me somewhat cynical about "thank you for your service" patriotic soundbites. How many Americans lost their lives over pointless foreign interventions, not defending the US borders, "freedom" or "way of life" but meddling in other regional conflicts? It took me back to when my family had gone to a Kansas army post while my Dad (initially) was assigned to Vietnam (he wasn't on the front lines but a jet mechanic, but war zones are not safe havens.) One of my friends on post lost his Dad. I had already developed a certain skepticism over the war. It also reminds me of one of my favorite cable holiday movies, "A Christmas Visitor" The mourning Dad of a fallen medic in one scene says, "We gave them our son, and they gave us stuff (medals, flags, etc.)". On this Memorial Day, whereas I'm grateful for the sacrifices made by our fallen brethren, I also mourn those who have unnecessarily lost their lives wearing uniforms of our nation.

Kaplan, the SF Giants manager, is protesting the Uvalde tragedy by refusing to take the field during the national anthem. A few seasons back he also engaged in a Kaepernick type protest over racial justice. I became aware of the kerfuffle when right wing author Nick Adams made an infamous Twitter announcement he would boycott baseball while disrespect to the national anthem is ongoing. Now as far as I can tell, there is no league requirement for managers to be on the field during the national anthem; in fact, the Nationals' manager felt the need to point out he usually never takes the field for the anthem for non-political reasons.

Nos Kaplan is clearly a leftist, and conceptually I disagree with his central government protest (implied by his reference to the national anthem) because I see schools and police power as being state responsibilities under our federalist principles. I do know Democrats have federal legislative proposals, which I generally oppose in principle. Nevertheless, I don't have an issue with Mr, Kaplan's unobstrusive protest, however misguided I might think it is.

As for Mr. Adams' boycott, I believe in voluntary transactions in the economy. Adams is free to choose what he wants to watch. Personally, I won't join him. Furthermore, I would prefer anthems and other patriotically correct symbols not to be in sporting events; I think it's a corruption of the spirit of sportsmanship.