Analytics

Sunday, April 4, 2021

Post #5093 M: Happy Easter!; Vaccine Game Show; Tom Woods on Vaccine Passports

 



Quote of the Day

My sun sets to rise again.
Robert Browning  

Happy Easter!

I've usually waited for my journal posts to publish personal reflections. But in case you have missed the last two posts, I mentioned having my second vaccine shot Friday afternoon, and it fairly knocked me out yesterday; I lost my appetite and was pretty lethargic yesterday, spending most of the day in bed, determined to watch my beloved Houston Cougars play for a championship game for the first time since I was a PhD student. That did not end successfully (more below).So a variety of symptoms, including chills and a bit of the runs. But like I wrote yesterday, most side effects go away within 48 hours. And for anyone expressing concern, thank you, but most of the reaction is gone; I've managed to eat twice and was well enough to make a brief shopping run at Walmart. I finally managed to post a Biden post I originally intended to publish yesterday.

Houston managed to get out to early lead getting out to 8 points, but Baylor responded with a run, quickly grabbing the lead and never looking back  They quickly ran up a 20+ point lead, and I don't think the Cougars ever got closer than 16 points the rest of the way. A lot of turnovers, and it seemed like Houston was never able to get an inside game going and had to rely on longer jump shots. It's ludicrous to  compare, but  Phi Slama Jama had a more dominant inside game, while this squad had better shooters, including foul shots. You've got to hand it to Baylor--an aggressive defense, good inside and outside game. on offense. Good luck in the championship. By the way, this is the first time in years as I recall, when the championship game Monday will be on "free TV" (CBS).

I usually don't grocery shop on Sundays, but since I was under the weather yesterday, I wanted to pick up some chicken soup and ginger ale, not in my pantry, in case some of the symptoms dragged on. I normally do self-checkout. The only real nuisance was they didn't have any staff retrieving shopping carts from any of the stands in the parking lot. It wasn't as busy as normal (I could have found parking closer to the entrance) but still a good number of shoppers and employees stocking the shelves.  I did want to pick up some ham based on some family dinners (I think those stopped for me when I moved to Wisconsin). I don't have a full-sized refrigerator in my apartment, so no space in my smaller room refrigerator/freezer for even the smaller ham portions on sale. I couldn't find like one of those Danish ham tins, and I wasn't about to buy a tin of spam. They did have some packaged ham slices, so I settled for that.

Of course, the Easter baskets of  chocolate bunnies and various treats (jelly beans, marshmallow peeps, etc.) stopped a long while ago; I could buy them on my own, of course, but I can't eat them for dietary reasons. I don't remember when it stopped but I'm 12 years older than my baby sister, and my Mom was always a stickler for treating her kids equal, so it probably went on well into graduate school. And I fondly remember Mom grinding up leftover ham for delicious sandwiches. Typically the folks made mustard potato salad, my favorite side dish. Ironically, I've only personally hosted one dinner party at my apartment, and it was for my Catholic Newman friends at UH--yup, ham and potato salad.

Easter is the biggest day on the Christian calendar. Don't get me wrong; I love Christmas, but I never understood  why musical artists didn't release Easter albums. Along with countless other kids with decent singing voices, I used to fantasize of releasing my own songs, and I personally hoped to cut an Easter album.

TV specials I really haven't seen, but it's possible I didn't notice. one of the national networks usually played "The 10 Commandments"; of course, the annual observance of Passover was the event that triggered the Roman execution of Christ. I thought I might catch Mel Gibson's classic "The Passion of the Christ", but I've had to satisfy myself with a trio of religious theme movies on PosiTV, including "The Greatest Story Ever Told", a Hollywood classic from the 50's.

Vaccine Game Show

Tom Woods on Vaccine Passports

Is it me, or is this the first Woods' podcast I've seen with video?

Choose Life

Political Cartoon

Courtesy of Steve Kelley via Townhall

Musical Interlude: #1 Hits of 1972

Bill Withers, '''Lean on Me"