Analytics

Friday, April 2, 2021

Post #5090 M: Joining the Ranks of the Vaccinated; High-Cost Rail Boondoggles; Tom Woods on Fauci

Quote of the Day
And the day came 
when the risk to remain tight in a bud 
was more painful than 
the risk it took to blossom.
Anais Nin  

Joining the Ranks of the Vaccinated

Yes, I got my second Pfizer shot this afternoon.  The hour-plus drive (each direction), mostly on I-95, sucked; I haven't done that in some time--not sure if people traveling home for Easter made it worse. Still  I fondly remember those years as a PhD student driving home to the San Antonio suburbs in springtime, smelling the bluebonnets in bloom at an interim rest stop along the 180-mile drive. I was still amused when Google Maps broke in on the way back today to warn me of a speed trap just ahead. Yeah, right: what are they going to do--cite me for: doing under 20 mph in a congested traffic zone?

Today went much quicker than last time: no waiting (in fact, there was a mini-queue of vaccinators waiting for patients) Not sure why; maybe not many on a holiday weekend? I thank God for Johns Hopkins. I would still be waiting for my local county to contact me after preregistration back in January for my risk group. I just hoped no one noticed I was short of breath (a COVID-19 symptom), but in this case I had to walk up long flights of stairs from parking.

None of the dreaded second shot after-effects so far--and my 2 brothers who got theirs earlier reported any either. 

Of course, I'll continue the regimen of face masking, social distancing and hygiene, not because it's politically correct to do so, but I don't know how well the vaccine does against new variants or how strong my antibody production is (of course it'll take up to 2 weeks for the second shot to boost production). And of course I currently limit trips out of my apartment to weekly grocery runs and occasional other errands. It's not just that this nasty virus can have a devastating, even fatal impact on those of us who are older and/or have serious health issues, but we could spread the disease to others, which I consider a violation of the non-aggression principle. I would strongly recommend the same for my readers, if they haven't been vaccinated yet. Do it for yourselves, your families, and your community. Become part of herd immunity. Vaccinated people are unlikely to get infected and spread the virus. (You can't rule it out (there are individual differences in effectiveness), but the statistics say it's like in the range of 1%.)

High-Cost Rail Boondoggles

Tom Woods on Fauci

Choose Life

Political Cartoon

Courtesy of Gary Varvel via Townhall

Musical Interlude: #1 Hits of 1972

Sammy Davis, Jr., "The Candy Man"