Analytics

Sunday, July 5, 2020

Post #4686 Social Media Digest

Twitter

As I explained in an earlier post, I decided to end my @raguillem Twitter account which I opened in 2013. I had been suspended for probably 4 or 5 times over the past 18 months, two of those week-long suspensions including last week  in reply to some troll arguing the Russians were murdering our troops in Afghanistan (a reference to the Russian intelligence bounty allegation to Taliban militants targeting US troops). It really wasn't clear how I violated Twitter's standards; I suspect it's because I used the term 'retard'. Now the word is seen offensive by many, and if you do a Google search, you'll see about a pro football player who got cut using the word at a fan. But as McAdams noted, who got expelled from Twitter for calling Sean Hannity 'retarded', the word is used all the time by other Twitter users without similar enforcement actions. The enforcement has been arbitrary and discriminatory. I'm willing to admit using such terminology probably doesn't win friends and influence people. So after another unjust suspension, I decided to retire my @raguillem Twitter account.



So I have a new announcement to make, one that I implied in my cited post: I have started a new Twitter account (@raguillemette). This account I intend to avoid Twitter wars with other users, using colorful language, and/or troll idiotic "progressives" and others. This doesn't mean I'll suffer fools gladly. I'm contemplating a format variation of my old abridged messages blog, which I may call something like "Social Media Unabridged Messages" (and I may cross-post after a long hiatus). In part, I may react to stupid tweets that annoy me in this format, but I also want the freedom to avoid the 280-character straitjacket; on multiple occasions over the last several weeks, I've had to string a chain of tweets together. I still intend to write more concisely as my intent with the above-cited blog, but I don't want to be tied down to a specific length. This is in line with my new "notes" format, which I envision as a more abbreviated format than essays in my rants and commentaries.

Although I archived my old tweets, this edition won't republish my remaining interim tweets to when I retired my old account over the past week, but here are my new tweets so far today:






Facebook