Analytics

Friday, January 11, 2019

Post #3946 J: Famous Twitter Followers; Trump's Detestable Xenophobis

My Interesting Twitter Followers

Let me say, first of all, following someone on Twitter does not imply you agree with them. For example, George Will, for instance, follows the Senate Democrats and the Nation, which are leftist, not a libertarian-conservative like us too. (I don't think I've caught his attention, even though I've probably promoted a dozen of his tweets.

I think for whatever reasons my followers have taken a nearly 20% haircut from my peak last year in the mid to upper 70's., with few if any new followers in months. Ir's not clear what was behind the attrition, but I do know for some odd reason a number of Trumpkins seemed to be drawn to some of my tweets (attacking leftist Dems) and a recent scan of followers show at least one or 2 followers are pro-Trump. I've lost count of how many negative tweets I've written on Trumps but at minimum several hundred. So . it could be I lost a number of enraged Trumpkins. Maybe some people who object to my use of language or some nasty reply tweets

I am, as my good friend Bruce Breeding (former PhD student colleague/office mate at UH) termed "an acquired taste". I tweet on a variety of topics, I have a good sense of humor, I play hashtag games very well, and my tweets. I'm not sure: maybe people disagree with me, but they find what I have to say as interesting.

Probably my most "famous" follower was/is Todd Starnes, a Fox News personality. And then there was this Dem state/local candidate, who followed me for some time before leaving.  Until the last 2-3 days when actress Katherine Heigl briefly followed me (and has already dropped me). (Well, it lasted longer than many of my relationships with women.) (At first I thought maybe it was a spoof account, but I independently verified the account, so it seemed legit.) I don't know what motivated her to follow me (her own feed seems filled with tweets on family, fashions, and love of animals, not much if anything on politics (but I only scanned a couple of dozen tweets)). She's a lovely lady and a talented entertainer; I wish her well and thank her for the opportunity; I would welcome her back anytime.

The "Border Crisis" Has Me Close Now to Trump Derangement Syndrome

I am literally seething at anti-immigrants; it starts with calling people "illegal". People are not "illegal"; arbitrary, immoral restrictions lead people to work outside the system; these are restrictions imposed by political elites on the liberty and property of other people. Who has a moral right to stand in the way of other people's lives? Who cares whether a bare majority of like-minded bastards feel the same way? Tyranny is not judged by the nature of the majority but how the rights of the minority are treated. My own rights and property are not diminished by others pursuing their own happiness. If anything, more people help me maximize my standard of living with an improved supply of goods and services.

Are Trumps and his minions correct to argue that Democrats have been hypocritical on immigration? Of course, it was JFK/LBJ who did away with the Bracero program, and unions have staunchly opposed to the increased number of workers, which they feel drives  down wages. It's largely why Obama himself helped sabotage immigration legislation in 2007 that Bush was supporting. How else do you explain the failure of the supermajority Democrats to pass immigration reform and Obama to sign it?

I'm tired of Fox News constantly propagandizing against reform, exaggerating welfare costs and crime. Every victim of a purported unauthorized alien draws saturation coverage